12 or 18 Pole Rotor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 or 18 Pole Rotor.

I found out that my stator was bad, so i took it apart and found a 18 pole stator in it (its a GS750 from 78) so i replaced it with a 12 pole - that should fit that years model. Been having charging problems since i bought the bike.

- Still having issues my next guess is that the Rotor has been replaced with a newer one that takes a 18 pole stator.

Is there some kinds markings indicating if its a 12 or 18 pole rotor, or is there a way to meassure it?

Thanks!

With the cover (and stator) removed, use a piece of metal that you won't mind if it gets magnetized, and run it around the inside of the rotor. It will pull and stop in several locations. If it pulls in FOUR spots, you need a 12-pole rotor. If it pulls in SIX spots, you need an 18-pole rotor.

I have some of each being re-wound right now, so don't have any available.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      With the cover (and stator) removed, use a piece of metal that you won't mind if it gets magnetized, and run it around the inside of the rotor. It will pull and stop in several locations. If it pulls in FOUR spots, you need a 12-pole rotor. If it pulls in SIX spots, you need an 18-pole rotor.

I have some of each being re-wound right now, so don't have any available.

Thanks Steve, i'll check it out!

Comment

Ok, so i checked the rotor today. but it doesn't really make sence with the 4/6 pull points Steve mentioned.
        There are 4 visible sections in the rotor, each with 3 pull points which corresponds to 12 poles, so am i right in assuming its a 12 pole rotor/stator?

I have created a small illustration of what i mean:

Comment

The 18 pole stator has 6 pairs of north/south magnets- they run alternately around the rotor. Get a refrigerator magnet ( 3/4 inch diameter or so)- this magnet has a N face and S face . Pick a side and run in along inside rotor. It will be attracted 6 times and repulsed 6 times (alternately)as it meets the rotor's magnets.
          The 12 pole stator only has 4 pairs of N/S magnets in its rotor.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            The 18 pole stator has 6 pairs of north/south magnets- they run alternately around the rotor. Get a refrigerator magnet ( 3/4 inch diameter or so)- this magnet has a N face and S face . Pick a side and run in along inside rotor. It will be attracted 6 times and repulsed 6 times (alternately)as it meets the rotor's magnets.
            The 12 pole stator only has 4 pairs of N/S magnets in its rotor.
            Thanks. I did the magnet trick, and i got 6 pairs, so its a 18 pole. on a 78 GS750

Comment

Yep, so somebody's quite understandably upgraded it.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X