Not Getting Spark 1980 GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Getting Spark 1980 GS450L

I have a 1980 GS450L It was running until my points plate went and one coil pack. Since then I have replaces the points plate and the coil pack that went bad. I am getting power to the coil packs but nothing down to the spark plugs the carbs have been rebuilt by a previous owner and last time I tried to start it my CDI box started smoking do I need a new CDI box and why am I not getting spark out of my coil packs some insight here would be nice. I really just want to get the old girl back up and running because she still has life in her. If it is the CDI box does anyone have one I can buy or know where I can get one that is cheap?

yeah, sounds like the ignitor died on you. download your bikes FSM(factory service manual), and perform the test to make sure the ignitor died. the only ignitors available are used and a gamble, and if you find a NOS(new old stock), be prepared to shell out some cash for it. a few of us here have built our own ignitors, kokar being the most indepth with making one to factory spec. but the gm hei DIY ignitor works great. i had to build one for my 650g. but best guess is if it was smoking, it's done for. and you are not getting any spark because the points sends the signal to the ignitor, which sends the signal to the coils to fire, and something burned up in the ignitor

Comment

here's the link to bikecliff's FSM site. lotsa good stuff there:

Comment

Working...
      X