in line fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in line fuse

hi to all if I wire my rectifier to battery I will need a in line fuse holder what gauge of wire and what amp of fuse do I need and is it easy to fix

14 ga wire and 20 amp for that configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      But,but,but you didn't mention that that ain't the best way!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Pos,
        I know you're the electrical "go-to" guy on this site, but where do your sources conceive this combination of wire sizes and fuse size?

I'm a California licensed electrician, and have been for many years. My "good book" the NEC or National Electric Code limits #14 wire to 15 amps and #12 can safely be fused at 20 amps?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          But,but,but you didn't mention that that ain't the best way!
          Question was not asked.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
            Pos,
            I know you're the electrical "go-to" guy on this site, but where do your sources conceive this combination of wire sizes and fuse size?

I'm a California licensed electrician, and have been for many years. My "good book" the NEC or National Electric Code limits #14 wire to 15 amps and #12 can safely be fused at 20 amps?
            I'm sure those guidelines are based on the same principle (ie ohm's law) but those guidelines are very much subject to area of application. Voltage drops vary with length of wire, current, and wire cross section.

While what the OP asked about is not ideal, it will work. His wording of his question made it appear as if he knew what he wanted although he could not figure fuse and wire size ( go figure).
            The 20 amp fuse is a known minimum. Sometimes it is 25 amps in this configuration.
            Last edited by posplayr; 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM.

Comment

in line fuse

what wire then 12 or 14 bike is gs850gn uk model 1979

Comment

Originally posted by NIGEL R View Post
                what wire then 12 or 14 bike is gs850gn uk model 1979
                14 gauge is fine; household wiring is a different animal. machinery internal wiring often uses 14g to carry 25 amp loads
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X