Super dim headlight on 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super dim headlight on 450

Seriously it's really not at all better than if I were to tape a mag-lite to the bars. Are their any recommendations for an HID kit or all around fix for the problem? I'm tired of not being able to ride at night.

81GS450T

jonny

A couple of things you need to check before taking on the expensive venture of going HID.

First thing is to check your charging system to make sure you are getting 14+ volts.

Second thing is to consider changing your stock sealed-beam headlight to an H4 halogen bulb like the bigger GSes.
    You have the smaller light that also came on the "L" models, so you will need to look for someone who might have some "L" parts for sale. It will be a plug-and-play swap. Just open up your current headlamp, remove the sealed beam light, install the H4 reflector/lens assembly and bulb, put it all back together.

Third thing, if you really want to go with HID is that you really need to get a complete light kit, not some sort of "conversion" kit. You would have difficulty with a "conversion" kit anyway, as there is no way to convert your sealed beam. In a conversion bulbe, the plasma arc that generates the light in the HID bulb is not in the same place as the filament in the stock bulb, so it will throw a different pattern on the road. Actually, the problem is the it throws a lot of light ABOVE the road, into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stock 45W light?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        A couple of things you need to check before taking on the expensive venture of going HID.

First thing is to check your charging system to make sure you are getting 14+ volts.

Second thing is to consider changing your stock sealed-beam headlight to an H4 halogen bulb like the bigger GSes.
        You have the smaller light that also came on the "L" models, so you will need to look for someone who might have some "L" parts for sale. It will be a plug-and-play swap. Just open up your current headlamp, remove the sealed beam light, install the H4 reflector/lens assembly and bulb, put it all back together.

Third thing, if you really want to go with HID is that you really need to get a complete light kit, not some sort of "conversion" kit. You would have difficulty with a "conversion" kit anyway, as there is no way to convert your sealed beam. In a conversion bulbe, the plasma arc that generates the light in the HID bulb is not in the same place as the filament in the stock bulb, so it will throw a different pattern on the road. Actually, the problem is the it throws a lot of light ABOVE the road, into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

This is great info, thanks! Yeah if I can get a desired result in a plug and play swap out I'd much rather do that.

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
        Stock 45W light?
        id have to assume so. No idea how to tell really.

Comment

Stock 45W light?
          Originally posted by greasyjonny View Post
          id have to assume so. No idea how to tell really.
          About the only way to tell is to pull the headlight and look at the back of the reflector. By the time you do that, you will be almost half-way to replace that blasted thing.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do I need to swap out the lens with the reflector on the H4 swap? Or just reflector and bulb? I ask because someone here is selling a reflector only.

Comment

Also, what about the increased wattage of the h4 bulbs, is that not going to be issue? Assuming stock is 45w, the bulbs I found on z1 were 55/60w 55/100 and 90/100. The only reason I was actually considering the HID was because I had been told they are bright and lower wattage.

Comment

Originally posted by greasyjonny View Post
                Also, what about the increased wattage of the h4 bulbs, is that not going to be issue? Assuming stock is 45w, the bulbs I found on z1 were 55/60w 55/100 and 90/100. The only reason I was actually considering the HID was because I had been told they are bright and lower wattage.
                Although the 55/60W is the legal replacement, I have no problem whatsoever using the 80/100 or 90/130 on several of my GS bikes as long as the light is aimed correctly as to not blind other drivers/riders.
                There are many places to pick up those bulbs for good prices including Amazon.com, Tirerack.com, Ebay, etc.

Comment

Although the 55/60W is the legal replacement, I have no problem whatsoever using the 80/100 or 90/130 on several of my GS bikes as long as the light is aimed correctly as to not blind other drivers/riders.
                  There are many places to pick up those bulbs for good prices including Amazon.com, Tirerack.com, Ebay, etc.
                  I was thinking more in the line of issues on the charging system with a higher load being pulled on the lamp.

Comment

One problem these old bikes have is the series of voltage drops between the source and the eventual destination; my previous GS1000's headlamp was so dim that I left it home at night and took a different bike. I solved the problem by installing a headlight relay kit from Eastern Beaver. The voltage difference was dramatic. Then I swapped the sealed beam with an H4, but the big difference was the relay kit. It also relieves the aging harness of carrying the headlamp current.
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                    X