Wiring in coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring in coils

So i have picked up some accel coils for the mighty GS550 (1980) and am trying to figure out how everyone mounts them. I see that the holes do not align up correctly at all, which leads me to believe i will be forced to rig up a mounting plate. I bought the coils used and did not receive any mounting hardware with them. (140404)

Does anyone have any advice or pics of how they mounted the coils to their bike?

Thanks in advance.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

The Dyna greens I bought didn't line up with factory tabs. Regardless, I had to move them away from the frame so the coil leads didn't dig into the front tabs. Using the back tabs, I mounted the new coil adding a nut or two for clearance if necessary. For the front of the coil, I angled them away from the frame tab by using a good zip tie from the coil mounting hole to the opposite frame tube until I had the angle I wanted. Then, to keep the coil from pivoting any farther that way, I used another zip tie from the front coil mount to the frame tube on its own side to keep it there. I might have a picture somewhere. It looks good enough and functional without creating a new plate.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

I will give that a shot. Thank you very much for your response.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Neither the Accel or the Dyna coils line up correctly. I made a couple of brackets. I also coated the posts with liquid electrical tape for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          I also coated the posts with liquid electrical tape for good measure.
          +1. Awesome stuff.
          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Those Accel coils have ring-type connections rather than the spades on our stock coils. Is it better to just solder on a ring connector to the wires or make a sort of spade-to-ring connection so you don't have to cut the harness at all and can keep it stock?

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
              So i have picked up some accel coils for the mighty GS550 (1980) and am trying to figure out how everyone mounts them. I see that the holes do not align up correctly at all, which leads me to believe i will be forced to rig up a mounting plate. I bought the coils used and did not receive any mounting hardware with them. (140404)

Does anyone have any advice or pics of how they mounted the coils to their bike?

Thanks in advance.
              Not sure, but I thought the 140403 coils were the ones that are electrically compatible with these bikes? The mountingis still not the same though.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
              X