speedo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo question

and yet this bike continues to throw new curves at me. about half way to work today, my speedo stopped working. i know it's a mechanical speedo. what is the most likely culprit? cable, speedo drive on the front wheel, speedo assembly? everytime something happens to this bike since i've gotten it to run great, it happens on my way to work. it's almost like it don't wanna let me go to work. it just wants me to stay home and ride it. i say this, because this weekend the bike ran like a champ with no issues, just like after i got my ignitor built and installed.

The first thing I would check on your mystery bike is the cable. Remove it from the bottom of the speedo, elevate the front wheel and rotate it in the forward direction. See if the inner cable rotates.

Comment

that was actually going to be the first thing i was going to check, only i was going to disconnect both ends to check the cable, then the wheel, then the speedo

Comment

Have you had the front wheel off the bike?

If so, did you get the speedo drive properly re-engaged to the wheel?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the front wheel has not been off of the bike yet since i have owned it. but as it turns out the cable snapped inside the shielding. but both the speedo and speedo drive work fine. i think it's because of a bad knick in the shielding that allowed years of moisture to get in and let it rust, and yesterday was the breaking point for it. fortunately, there's a place about 40 minutes from me that has the speedo cable so i should be good to go by this weekend

Comment

All cables should be cleaned and lubed once a year to prevent this from happening.

Comment

what's your method of cleaning and lubing cables?

Comment

I pull the cable off, flush it out with a cleaner (brake cleaner is a bit harsh but will work) and then use my cable lube attachment and can of cable lube. When I was really poor, I would hang the cable up and drip 3 in 1 oil down the cable until it started coming out the other end.

Comment

Working...
                X