Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wire gauge for the leads on a Compufire reg\rect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire gauge for the leads on a Compufire reg\rect?

I am finishing up the wiring harness swap on my bike and I need to buy some new connectors.
    I need a male spade on my + lead but all I have is crap small gauge ( or is that large? ) stuff.
    Wire big connector hole small . The wire is almost an 1\8 of an inch in diameter.

Anyhoo I am at a loss. I have a lengthy piece of the wire that I cut off the unit to take into a store. Bad thing about that is all the connectors I have seen in automotive places are in sealed boxes.

Not sure what you have in Kanada. In the U.S. our wire gauges are 18 gauge, 16 gauge, etc. This is the diameter of the stranded wire itself, not the sheathing.
    You Compufire has input and output wires. Which do you need?
    The stator output to R/R input wires are 18 gauge on a Suzuki stator. There is nothing to be gained by going larger on these wires.
    When I changed out my R/R, I put 16 gauge on the R/R ground wire, 18 gauge on the sense wire, and 14 gauge on the 12V output wire.

Comment

This is for the reg\rect output leads. The OEM wiring is all significantly smaller.

Comment

I would run as much of the (+) 12 ga wire as you can till you meet up with the 16 ga Red disappearing into the harness.
        I would cut down the (-) 12 ga and put a ring lug on it to your most convenient single point ground. proceed as normal from there.
        For all other grounds 16 ga is sufficient as long as nothing is much over 1 ft per run.

Comment

So it is 12 gauge nice to know. I can go get some connectors.

I am using no more than 6 inches of the reg\rects = and _ leads.

The negative lead is going directly to the battery whereas the positive is going into the wiring harness. Its should be the same as the OEM layout.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            So it is 12 gauge nice to know. I can go get some connectors.
            Actually, it's 10 gauge.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

You are probably correct, it is thick stuff. A 10 ga it is clearly designed to allow the R/R to be mounted 4 ft from the battery. Otherwise there is no need for any wire above 14 ga (say 1 ft runs).

Comment

Use your wire strippers to remove some of the 10 gauge strands so it fits the connectors you get. The demand from the bike is going to be lower than the rated capacity of the Compu-fire so that's not a problem.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

thanks guys for the help. Yah this wire is thicker than standard house wiring you find at a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    You are probably correct, it is thick stuff. A 10 ga it is clearly designed to allow the R/R to be mounted 4 ft from the battery. Otherwise there is no need for any wire above 14 ga (say 1 ft runs).
                    Why such large gauge? How much power are you transmitting? Have you checked the voltage drop over those runs? I am stunned at the figures you are quoting.
                    I checked a few simple calculators on the web for the voltage drop over length, and they seem to think differently. This is one simple calculator chosen at random: Calculator
                    I would just like to understand how you came up with those numbers.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Why such large gauge? How much power are you transmitting? Have you checked the voltage drop over those runs? I am stunned at the figures you are quoting.
                      I checked a few simple calculators on the web for the voltage drop over length, and they seem to think differently. This is one simple calculator chosen at random: Calculator
                      I would just like to understand how you came up with those numbers.
                      Thanks.
                      This analysis was for the SSPB but will be real close for a standard fuse box. It focuses on the voltage drops between he battery and the R/r.

Comment

Thanks. I don't quite follow the column V, which I take to be Voltage drop, and the %voltage drops column.
                        Taking only the 15 Amps examples, let's look at the first row under R/R extended to 4 ft with 10ga wire.
                        If you are charging at 14.5V you say there is a 0.060V drop, which equates to a 27.7% voltage drop?
                        I am sure I am missing something there.

Comment

Thanks. I don't quite follow the column V, which I take to be Voltage drop, and the %voltage drops column.
                          Taking only the 15 Amps examples, let's look at the first row under R/R extended to 4 ft with 10ga wire.
                          If you are charging at 14.5V you say there is a 0.060V drop, which equates to a 27.7% voltage drop?
                          I am sure I am missing something there.
                          the analysis identified 4 wires which run between the r/r and battery. Because of the way current sits there are different currents in each of these legs. Each row uses the standard formulas to compute voltage drop base nog gs , length of wire and current. The individual voltage drops for each wire are in column v. But a four voltage drops are summed for each of the combination compared. The total voltage drop is also in column v but indicated in red. The first case is 1 ft length shows approximate 0.1 v drop so if the r/r is regulating at 14.5 there will be 14.4 at the battery due to these wirevoltage drops. Dirty connections can make it far worse . The percentages shown in green are just divining up the total voltage drop for each configuration to show how it is distributed amount the wire sets. It is not a percentage of the 14.5 supply although it could have been calculated that way. The intent was to show which wire was showing the biggest portion of the voltage drop.
                          note this is essentially an ideal configuration using a single point ground. If your system is different then you would have to make adjustments. For similar wire sizes and lengths the drops should always be worse.

Comment

Thanks. Each section shows the numbers for each of the 4 legs, with a sum of the voltage drops in red.
                            Clearly, being 1 foot away you could use 14 ga wire and obtain excellent results.
                            Since we cannot possible know the loss over the connections, we must assume perfectly clean connections at this time.
                            At 4 foot, the voltage loss using 10 gauge wire is still greater than the voltage loss at 1 foot using 14 ga wire.
                            However, at 4 foot using 14 gauge wire is only 0.329V, which is only 1.03% of the total 14.7V.
                            I normally look for less than 2% loss over the length of the wire, so would you disagree that 1.03% is acceptable? If so, please explain why.
                            Also, are you using 4 foot because the R/R would be located at the front of the bike, possibly for cooling?
                            Thanks.

Comment

...are you using 4 foot because the R/R would be located at the front of the bike, possibly for cooling?
                              Thanks.
                              A friend of mine has a newer model Triumph and it has the R/R right up front must run hot. The Compufire 55402 runs pretty cool as it is, but I had no room under my battery box or under either side panel for mine, and it comes with ~4 foot 10 gauge leads for all 5 wires so I mounted it to the frame up front above the oil cooler. I had a thread about it, but can't find it for some reason.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                              X