Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need headlight upgrade/repair advice

Hey guys,

I just picked up my new-to-me 1981 GS650GL. The headlight low beam wasn't working, and the high beam seemed pretty dim so I started pulling things apart expecting to have to change a bulb. Once disassembled I found that the headlight doesn't appear to be the original- it is marked Stanley 001-1711 and may be either a sealed beam or a mash-up with the bulb soldered in place (I managed to pry it open, but the bulb does not appear to be replaceable). Google doesn't give me much on this unit, other than that it may have been used on a Yamaha XS400. Either way, it has to go!

I can find a replacement original headlight unit on eBay (something like this), but before I just swap the original design back in I figured I'd check to see if there are any better options or upgrades available, or if there is an off-the-shelf replacement that may also work. Thanks!

That is a VERY good price for those parts. I would recommend replacing the bulb with a halogen (55/60 or 80/100)if it does not come with one.

Comment

You can pick up a nice Hella headlamp unit with a 60/55W or a 100/55W H4 bulb for under $40 on Amazon.

If you can find a S.E.V. Marchal unit that would be my preference but they are pretty scarce and costly.

Comment

Good responses from the first two, but they both seem to be missing the fact that you have an "L" bike with a 6-inch light. The 7-inch light you have linked to will not fit, unless you change out the whole headlight bucket AND the mounting ears.

If you can find that Hella light in the proper size, it would be the best way to go, but skip the 100-watt bulb option, stick with the stock 55/60.

Other good choices would be Marchal, Bosch and Cibie.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Monday AM attention to detail on full display here. Good catch. I mentioned the 100/55W option because they really light it up on those dark highways at night.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
            I mentioned the 100/55W option because they really light it up on those dark highways at night.
            Yes, they do, but how many of us actually ride at night? For all the extra load it puts on the charging system, it would be better to stick with the stock bulb. I did note that you chose the 55/100 bulb, rather than the more-common 80/100, which is what I use in my 4-wheeled vehicles.

If you need extra lights for riding at night, consider lights that can be turned ON or OFF as needed, rather than having something that is ON all the time. At highway speeds, the charging system will have no problem keeping up with the higher-powered bulb, but get into town, where the engine speeds drop, you will have to make sure you have your low beam ON (which you should, anyway).

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks guys. I hadn't considered that the L had a different size headlight, but I will measure tonight to make sure that hasn't been changed either.

When using aftermarket lights (e.g. Hella), what is the best way to deal with the mounting tabs? Do these tend to be fairly standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdhickey View Post
                When using aftermarket lights (e.g. Hella), what is the best way to deal with the mounting tabs? Do these tend to be fairly standard?
                Should be plug and play.

Comment

Good info here.

Tabs should line up, although I don't have an L and mine is stock on both my GS's, and if memory serves, both are Stanley FWIW but another thing to consider here is wiring in a relay (similar to the coil relay mod) that will give you close to full battery power at the headlight, using the original wiring to trigger the relay. Much more light output due to lower voltage drop.

It' s not difficult and you could get ~300 more lumens. More here at Daniel Stern Lighting.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I have only had to modify the mounting tabs on one light over the last 35 years or so, and a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel made short work of it.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

subscribed! this will be something that i might look into when i pull my 650g off the road for the season.

Comment

For my 1000ST, I swapped the stock Stanley unit for a crystal-clear S.E.V. Marchal made specifically for motorcycles. That Stanley had what looked like some cloudiness in or on the inside of the lens. Oddly, my 1000EN also has that same cloudy, hazy appearance so I plan to swap it with the Hella headlamp I referenced above.

Comment

Working...
                        X