No spark on #1 and #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark on #1 and #4

Got no spark except when I jump the pickup coil. I get spark on #2 and #3 but not on #1 and #4.
    Mr. Matchless – Testing the Ignition System Results

1. No Spark on all 4 plugs
    2. Tank removed
    3. Coils do not get hot
    4. NA – no spark
    5. Coils not hot
    6. Battery fully charged – Battery new
    7. o/w at coil 12.7 volts
    8. o/w at coil 9.5 volts when cranking

** Added coil relay modification. 11.5 volts when cranking
    1. All is good now
    2. Between o/w and w 4.4 ohm. Between o/w b/y 4.5 ohm.

Between HT Caps#2 and #3 - 4.4 ohm. Between #1 and #4 - 0 ohm
    1. Resistance between Green and Blue measured at ignitor plug 321 ohm
    2. o/w b/w 12+ V going into ignitor
    3. Grounded all plugs
    4. Connected ground and touched 1.5 V to green. Have spark on #2 and #3. No spark on #1 and #4.

Found 0 ohm issue on #1 and #4. #4 Cap had been pulled from wire. Took off wire cut back ¼ in of wire to get rid of corrosion. Screwed wire into cap, replace rubber boot, now have normal reading.

Switch B/Y and W wires and see if spark jumps coils. Rigged a harness to plug B/Y wire and power into W connector. Now have fire on #1 and #4. Ran continuity check from white wire from coil connection in harness to white connector on igniter, all good.

Another interesting side affect. When plugging in the blue and green pickup wires it will fire the #2 and #3 plugs. I believe this isolates to the igniter. Also now I do have #2 and #3 firing when I crank it with everything hooked up again.

Any other test before I order a replacement igniter?

"Between HT Caps#2 and #3 - 4.4 ohm. Between #1 and #4 - 0 ohm"

just in case someone misunderstands this...... You meant 44000 ohms, right ?
    Good thorough testing, sounds like half of your ignitor has failed. As you already likely know, a dyna ignition could be good option here ,if you can't locate a good used ignitor
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X