charging cuts off after 2000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging cuts off after 2000 rpm

My '82 gs1100ez charging cuts off after 2000 rpm. At idling speed of 1000rpm charging is around 12.4v at the battery. At 2000rpm reaches 13.4v and then anything above 2000rpm it drops to 12.4v once more.
    Is there anything I can do apart from changing the stator and R/R to increase the charging? All earthing and electrical connections from stator to the battery have been cleaned.

You need to do the Quick test and report all 6 numbers, or I can send you off on a wild goose chase. Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post
      All earthing and electrical connections from stator to the battery have been cleaned.
      It's all the other connections on the bike that can have a cumulative negative effect that haven't been cleaned that might be contributing to your problem, or, am I misreading and you have cleaned all the electrical contact points on the entire bike Including switches and fuse boxes.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        It's all the other connections on the bike that can have a cumulative negative effect that haven't been cleaned that might be contributing to your problem, or, am I misreading and you have cleaned all the electrical contact points on the entire bike Including switches and fuse boxes.
        I would guess he has followed some testing procedure (Quick Test perhaps) and done some "cleaning". Cleaning with what is still unknown. I suspect that he did not do the revised Phase A tests as there is no mention of voltage drops.

I would want to see all 6 numbers to make sure that battery is good first. It is possible that some combination of low battery and dirty connections is involved. If so charging the battery and then working on getting the drops down would be a primary path forward.

Comment

Presumably I do all the tests, what voltage range of charging should I expect at the battery terminals and at what RPM? Thanks guys.
          BTW all connections including earthing have been cleaned with connector liquid cleaner. However other electrical leads, switches etc have not been done.

Comment

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post
            Presumably I do all the tests, what voltage range of charging should I expect at the battery terminals and at what RPM? Thanks guys.
            Posplayr has already answered that, but it was sort of disguised.

He said "do the Quick Test and report all 6 numbers", but was not real clear on pointing out that the "Quick Test" is a link in his signature.

Click on that link, follow the instructions, come back and report your findings.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Posplayr has already answered that, but it was sort of disguised.

He said "do the Quick Test and report all 6 numbers", but was not real clear on pointing out that the "Quick Test" is a link in his signature.

Click on that link, follow the instructions, come back and report your findings.

i guess the tests in school are criptic as well. But then they are designed to see who is paying attention.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of people even bother to read entire posts unless they are extremely short. Not just here, but on all forums.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X