Need some help on wire routing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help on wire routing.

The PO of my bike was a hack and kinda did his own thing with the wiring. Can someone shoot me some pictures if you have an 81 GS850 of the wire routing around the battery box and where the grounds go and how the modules are connected and their wires routed? I looked up the wiring diagram and so I can connect those, but I'm wondering where everything is routed.

The factory service manual will usually show all harness routing.

Comment

If PO messed with grounds ,he might maybe hopefully was trying to correct something (be optimistic!). You are looking at a color wiring diagram, right??? This 80 diagram should be real close
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the wiring diagram doesn't show where wires are routed. also I can't find an 81 service manual. The 79 or 80 manual has different routing. And 82 is also different.

no def a hack... Lol!! He had a 30amp fuse for the headlight.. No wonder the fuse box melted!

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
          ?..

no def a hack... Lol!! He had a 30amp fuse for the headlight.. No wonder the fuse box melted!
          Be very suspicious- the headlight 5 amp draw would not melt fuse box but bad connections along wiring path sure would.
          make sure you eliminate headlight loop in stator wiring in your routing fun!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
            Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the wiring diagram doesn't show where wires are routed. also I can't find an 81 service manual. The 79 or 80 manual has different routing. And 82 is also different.
            Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            The factory service manual will usually show all harness routing.
            Yes, it does. The '81 should be very close to the '80. They were virtually unchanged between those two years.

Comment

Sorry I was looking at Bikecliffs manual online, but when I downloaded it it showed me the different models and I was able to find the routing! My mistake.. Mines a GS850GLT I guess.. It's kinda a mix.

Comment

Working...
              X