Cyl 1 and 4 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyl 1 and 4 no spark

this morning my gs850gl started up great as everyday for the past 2 months, i left it idling under choke so it could warm up, i walked in the house and i heard a pop and the bike idled roughly and stalled
    i immediately thought it was a mechanical issue, it would start but would die and if i gave it throttle it would rev but slowly and with no power, i pulled a spark plug wire and nothing, i pulled the one next to it and got shocked

i realized then that my bike wasnt getting spark to cyl 1 and 4. I even tested it with a timing light. And my hypothesis was right

my bike has retrofitted ignition coil which i installed, soldered into the system but still running stock ignition coil connectors in case i ever wanted to return to original, ran great on the retrofit. I thought it mightve been my retrofit coil, so i hooked up the original coil and still nothing, i tested for continuity on the wires from the coil to the igniter box and there was continuity. I still didnt know if it was one of the cdi magnets or the igniter box, so i flipped the wires on the cdi magnets to see if the other magnet would activate the spark, it did, but again only for 2 and 3

i just ordered a dyna s ignition system, installing will not be a problem, and i have already know whats wrong

i just want to know it anybody else has run into this issue, igniter box only activating one coil

thanks

Others have like this guy with 650- not sure if he came to conclusion

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X