Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter motor only turning when ignition is off! Gs 650 katana.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter motor only turning when ignition is off! Gs 650 katana.

Hello everybody.

I just renovated the engine of my Katana from 1982.
    Before renovating it, the starter motor ran when ignition was turned on, like it would normally.
    Now after renovating it, with a handbook for assistance, it only runs when the ignition is off!
    Do you have any ideas to what i did wrong?

Regards.
    Jesper F. Pedersen

The reason for renovation was a defective signal generator rotor, one of the springs was broke. During the rep of this i found metal splinters in the engine. The previous owner had corrected the error leading to the metal splinters, but neglected to clean the engine!

Comment

Do you mean that with key switch "off", if you push starter button, the starter motor cranks? If so, them something is wired wrong- the solenoid probably. The solenoid is triggered by small green/white (?) wire that comes from clutch safety switch which comes from "off/run" switch, etc. Have a look at this wiring diagram, it should be similar to the katana 650

Back up in link to get larger readable diagramdiagram

Edit: please post picture of your bike when you can
      Last edited by tom203; 09-27-2014, 06:42 AM.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey Tom and thanks for replying.
        The off/run ignition seems to work, the problem is the ignition switch where you put in the key. Then it will only start when the key is put in the off position.
        Thanks for the diagram, and i will upload pictures as soon as the bike is put back together

Comment

Probably previous owner used creative wiring techniques - be suspicious ! And careful!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X