Relocating R/R under seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating R/R under seat?

I am wondering if anyone has done this (if they don't run side covers or air box)? Is there enough airflow under there to keep it cool?

Give it a shot. It should be okay. Check it after a ride and see how hot it is. Is it a stock small R/R or a larger upgrade? The heat sink on a larger one should be enough. If not, install a tiny 12v switched fan.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

No problem-your legs create plenty of turbulence to keep air moving. Here's my SH-775 upside down under rear tank mount.

.image.jpg
      Last edited by tom203; 09-28-2014, 06:24 AM.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had Honda reg-recs under the seats for years - they never got more than slightly warm. The Shindengen would be under the seat too, but it's just a touch larger than the others.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Blatant copy of Tom203's idea for under the tank for my 82 1100EZ. I am running pods, so no airbox. This mount needs some rubber bushings of some sort for vibration damping.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cassius086; 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM.
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Here is the solution I will probably end up using: I just flipped the R/R upside down and mounted it on the back side of the electrics mounting plate using the factory R/R mounting holes. Hopefully, some time in the next couple weeks as the temps finally start dropping here & the rain subsides, I'll get back into the garage and get the wiring harness installed and get some better photos....

Hope these are helpful!
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
            X