GS1000G mystery plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G mystery plug

I cant not figure out what this plug is for, it has a green/white wire and a blue/white wire. Its located where the stator hooks up to the wire harness. The green/wire also had a diode in it up bye the head light. Cant find it on the diagram.

Thanks,
    Daniel

I just looked on my son's bike, could not find such a connector. It is easy enough to see where it is in your picture, but could not such a connector on his bike.

When you say "green/white" and "blue/white" wires, do you mean "green, with a white stripe" or "white, with a green stripe"? Your picture is now quite clear enough to tell.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I believe it is the side stand sensor wiring. On my bike it looks like black/white and green/white (wire/tracer), but maybe it is blue. The green/white connects to green/yellow behind the headlight, with the diode at the connection. Following the wire the opposite direction leads around the propeller shaft, under the bike, to the side stand switch.

I didn't see it in the 850 wiring diagram but I did just find it in the 1100 wiring diagram. It is on the right side of the page, follow the kickstand switch wiring:
      Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Maybe you don't have the original 1000G harness? I have no such connector on mine.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Maybe you don't have the original 1000G harness? I have no such connector on mine.

I would not be surprised if its not the original harness, i really am starting to wonder what this poor bike has been through over the years.

Comment

Possibly, although that is not the typical location for it, that plug may have gone to a Vetter fairing sometime in its life.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
              I believe it is the side stand sensor wiring. On my bike it looks like black/white and green/white (wire/tracer), but maybe it is blue.
              Side stand switches did not show up until the '82 models, he has an '80.

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
              Possibly, although that is not the typical location for it, that plug may have gone to a Vetter fairing sometime in its life.
              I have never seen anything connected to a Vetter that came from the middle of the frame. All the connections to the Vetter (and other manufacturer's fairings) have all come from the connections in the headlight bucket.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Do you have the other half of the plug? Maybe someone replaced the wiring harness with one from an '82. If you don't have the other half it may have been with a side stand switch and not used with the rest of the harness.

I have the same plug in the same location, same color wires, also running to a diode at the headlight. The other half of mine does run to the side stand switch.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

My guess is that it connected to the original stator wires. Most wiring diagrams of that time show a G/W , B/W and yellow from the stator with the G/W going off around the bike to dump some energy. I'd say many are left on the harness when the stator is wired direct to the R/R.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    My guess is that it connected to the original stator wires. Most wiring diagrams of that time show a G/W , B/W and yellow from the stator with the G/W going off around the bike to dump some energy. I'd say many are left on the harness when the stator is wired direct to the R/R.
                    I could almost agree with you, but all of the stock stator wires I have seen had individual bullet connectors, not anything grouped like shown in the first post. And why would it only group two of them?

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I was curious so I went out and took some pic's of a GS1000G with a windbreaker fairing on it. There appears to be 6 wires running into the fairing and
                      yes, they are coming from the headlight bucket as previously stated...

I also removed the side cover from one of my GSes that has a kick stand switch and those do go into two bullet connectors. I did not go to the trouble of taking the seat off to verify the colors
                      but one of them was the normal black w/white stripe ground. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I could almost agree with you, but all of the stock stator wires I have seen had individual bullet connectors, not anything grouped like shown in the first post. And why would it only group two of them?

Almost, I'll settle for that. About as good as it ever gets.
                        I see your point about bullets and why would you group those two.
                        One thing strikes me as odd about the plug is the pin for the green wire seems to be retracted. Generally they don't give up pins without a fight. Could the plug have been added by a PO ? Who knows.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

I willing to bet its not the original harness to the bike. A diagram that has a kick stand switch matches up perfect to this harness. this harness has been severely hacked up at one time for no reason that i can come up with. I have it almost lined out and back in proper order. I removed the diode and i am just going to ignore the plug.

Now that i think about it i have saw signs that at one time it looks like a carb could of caught on fire. Maybe it cooked the original harness and it was replaced with a different one. I wish this bike could talk.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Be careful what you wish for
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous

Comment

Working...
                            X