Coil replacement options for stock performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil replacement options for stock performance

I have read a lot about the Dyna coils but am wondering if there are other options for stock performance at a lower cost. I just found what I appears to be a bad coil (11.4 kOhms across plug wires, engine still popping after carb overhaul/sync and valve adjustment). As I'm writing this I'm thinking I could check the plug wire connection inside the coil, but then again they are 32 years old and look it.

Dyna coils look to be about $130, plus $17 for wires and I don't know what else. That is a fair amount less than Suzuki replacements so I guess I should be thankful for that. The list of expenditures doesn't seem to be slowing much so I'm curious what else is out there that is of good quality.

Also do I want 3 Ohm or 5 Ohm coils? I measured something like 3.4 and 4.2 across the 12v terminals. It is an '82 1100g.

Thanks for reading and your suggestions

"Mr" Garfield

Try these. yes not cheap but soo dam good....

Comment

You want the 3.0 Ohm coils

Here is a decent buy with free shipping.

Comment

Back in the day, I sought out Honda CBR1000 coils, but they're getting a bit old now anyway. Advantage of them was they were electronic ign compatible and had replaceable leads. I've still got a set of them knocking around and will quite happily keep using them until they eventually die.
        What I found with the stock coils was a propensity to absorb dampness and I wasn't the only one to slowly bake them at low heat in an oven then give them a coat of varnish in the quest to cure that. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. The CBR coils didn't suffer from that at all.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Just get another stock GS coil. It's rare they ever fail, even after 34 years. You can dig out the old wires and replace them with new wires and caps. To test the coils put one probe of the multitester on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. You should get 3-5 ohms. Check the secondary windings by placing one probe into each of the plug wires coming from one coil. Those would be 2 & 3 from one coil and 1 & 4 for the other. You should get 30-50,000 ohms for stock coils and 15-20,000 for aftermarket. If memory serves me right the plugs caps should be 5000 ohms "I think" With what you tested your leads might just be gone but your coil doesn't look like it's been tested yet. Remember too that sometimes with the leads all you have to do is cut an inch or so off the end and reconnect the cap, giving it a fresh connection again.
          Last edited by azr; 12-08-2014, 01:06 PM.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Mr Garfield, I have a couple of sets of stock Suzuki coils. If you would like a set private message me your address and I'll send a set out to you. They came off a perfectly running motorcycle...
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I've had the ACCEL super coils on my bike for 30 years, never have they missed a beat yet.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X