GS650 dyna install fail. Wiring issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 dyna install fail. Wiring issue?

So I got my Dyna for my 650 and modified the plate to get around the oil pressure switch (and big thanks to tom203 for letting me know why the 650 wasn't listed with all the other Suzuki fours). The wiring diagram shows a splice connector with a 12VDC source connecting to the red lead of the Dyna and the coil Orange/white leads. I took my 12Volts from the orange/white wire itself since it was a switched 12V source. What I had was this in the photo:
    wiring.jpg

My battery is at about 12.1 volts (I know.. weak). What I'm noticing is that I'm getting less than 10VDC to the Dyna with everything connected. Cranking yields about 8VDC at best. My next idea was to eliminate everything but the Dyna and coils. I ran the red lead from the Dyna to the coil post and put the battery on the coil post.
    coil2.jpg

When I put 12VDC on that coil terminal my plugs spark; so I'm thinking I got something dragging down my voltage to the point it isn't enough to run the Dyna. Before I go any further, I wanted to ask those of you with a Dyna if I'm doing anything dangerous (to the Dyna) though. The big connector you see disconnected is a troubleshooting step to see if I could isolate the draw. It wasn't always like that.

Comment

Here's the Dyna itself. I had to grind down the post on the advancer a little too to get the plate over it. As it stands, the post is about .007" away from the sensor on one side and maybe .014 or so on the other.
      dyna.jpg

Comment

hey,
        what are you doing?
        either my eyes are bad or your using the stock advance rotor?
        are you using the black rotor that came with the dynaS?
        excuse my post if i'm blind...

strange deal...the dynaS looks different than what i have seen in the past.
        Last edited by blowerbike; 01-11-2015, 10:15 PM. Reason: i am blind :o

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          hey,
          what are you doing?
          either my eyes are bad or your using the stock advance rotor?
          are you using the black rotor that came with the dynaS?
          excuse my post if i'm blind...

strange deal...the dynaS looks different than what i have seen in the past.
          Nope, it's a rookie mistake on my part. Somewhere I read that I used the same spark advancer with this. I took that to mean the whole thing. I do have that black rotor still in the bag.

Comment

yes the mechanical unit with the arms and springs.
            the black button triggers the dynaS modules.
            sheet happens..no worries.
            on the low voltage...maybe you should do a coil relay mod to give the orange/white stripe wire more volts.

Comment

I just went out in the garage and put that black rotor in it. Wired it back up the original way I had it and I have spark to the plugs on that coil now. Yeah, dumb mistake on my part, thanks for pointing it out. I'm still not real sure about that much voltage drop in the circuit but now I can wire this up good and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                yes the mechanical unit with the arms and springs.
                on the low voltage...maybe you should do a coil relay mod to give the orange/white stripe wire more volts.
                Thanks, I'll look that up.

Comment

You need a good battery at a fully charged state. It's a long winding path from battery to ignition circuit. As a temporary test measure you can use a booster battery ,but NOT a running vehicle, to help your battery out.
                  years ago, I recall that I measured about 1.5 volt drop to coils- still haven't done coil relay mod,as mine seems to fire right up.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X