Stator Output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Output?

Does anyone know the stock stator output on a 79 GS750E? Just want to make sure I can run heated gear and charge phone and extra lights and GPS if need be. Thanks!

In the vicinity of 250 watts, assuming stuff in good working order. Of course you have done charging tests to verify this.
    Do you know if you have 12 or 18 pole stator?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think the 79 750EC/EN used a 12 pole stator.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

So do we know if thats 250 of usable power or is that total power?

Comment

That would be TOTAL power.

Running the cell phone and GPS will be no problem at all.

Running heated gear depends on how much of it you have and whether you have a digital thermostat.

Extra lights are "iffy", but your chances are improved if they are LED units.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the input. Ill have to do some math and digging to see what actual usable power is. Id guess around 100 watts

Comment

Member 'posplayr' has done some research and testing to find the capacity, but each bike will be a little bit different. I think he found that the ones he tested were capable of about 22 amps (at 14 volts, that would be 308 watts). If you have an amp meter, you can get a feel for how much the bike is using, but you have to be careful where you take your measurements. You can use jumper wires to add a load (spare headlight) to see if your charging system can still maintain about 14 volts. With additional load you may find that you have to keep the engine over 4000 RPM (or so) to maintain voltage, so you might have to adjust your extra load based on engine/road speed. A bit of a hassle, but if you really want to do it, it can happen.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Member 'posplayr' has done some research and testing to find the capacity, but each bike will be a little bit different. I think he found that the ones he tested were capable of about 22 amps (at 14 volts, that would be 308 watts). If you have an amp meter, you can get a feel for how much the bike is using, but you have to be careful where you take your measurements. You can use jumper wires to add a load (spare headlight) to see if your charging system can still maintain about 14 volts. With additional load you may find that you have to keep the engine over 4000 RPM (or so) to maintain voltage, so you might have to adjust your extra load based on engine/road speed. A bit of a hassle, but if you really want to do it, it can happen.

HoHoHo...
                When I was using my other GS with the twin lights, it was all fine and dandy and I was enjoying the extra output on the motorway down into London. After about an hour or less of stop-start-go London traffic the battery was dying... Off the motorway, the output of the alternator wasn't enough to supply the extra 55W. Luckily, it was easy to pull the connector to one of the lights and carry on, still with a perfectly adequate light.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X