Ignition system, coils and leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition system, coils and leads

I have a 1989 850G with all standard electrics and am going to upgrade to Dynatek stuff.
    Can anyone reccomend someone who does not want an arm and a leg for the stuff in the UK. If not I will just order from the USA.
    Any tips on changing to Dynatek and is there an alternative?

Are you sure there is something wrong with the stock setup ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

79 by chance?
      I have some good point ignitions if you need one.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Are you sure there is something wrong with the stock setup ?
        No, just lumpy running after a rebuild. Had the carbs balanced and once started, she runs ok.

The problem is that she only starts to fire on one, then the others get dragged in and once all fired, will tick over nicely.
        Runs through the gears fine, but if the throttle is held at say 60mph, she starts to falter until I open the throttle again, then she pulls like a train again until I sit at a steady speed, then she starts to bog down again like running out of fuel.
        I had the carbs balanced, buy have not set the float height.
        I just thought the Dyna stuff would improve reliability etc?

Comment

No, late 89

Comment

89? One of the last European ones built to satisfy the German and Dutch demand, I take it? That's an interesting bike.

I'd not be suprised if the carbs didn't benefit from a proper strip and clean - even an '89 has been around a long time, now.

If you object to the Dyna prices (I didn't object to their prices, but the total, including shipping and duty was too high) - you can always make your own ignitor.
            Last edited by Grimly; 02-11-2015, 02:43 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sounds more like carb problem -hard starting ( clogged enricher circuits?) plus maybe fuel starvation in midrange. Have you checked for good spark at all plugs during cranking as in this link to rule out an ignition problem?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X