Suzuki gs250t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki gs250t

hi,i have a 1981 GS250T,bike was running fine but battery went flat,charged up the battery and tried to start it,appeared reluctant to turn over then backfired through the
    exhaust, took out the plugs and put them to earth,turned on the ignition and both plugs started sparking without engine turning,when i first tried to start it it did run on one cylinder as long as you kept your finger on the starter,as soon as you let go it stopped.can anyone help please.

".....turned on the ignition and both plugs started sparking without engine turning,"

this happened without the starter motor turning??
    Is this bike new-to-you?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

no,have had the bike a couple of years,because this is electrical ,the old reasons like compressions and valve clearances,plugs i would not thought anything to do with fault.regards phil.

Comment

any ideas please

Comment

I am not understanding your description.
          With the plugs out of the motor and still attached to the plug wires, when you turn on the ignition they start to spark?

Why did the battery go flat? Did the bike sit idle for a couple months?
          Maybe in that time your carbs gummed up as well causing the initial hard starting.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

the bike started straight away after reconnecting battery,it revs a bit 0n full choke so pushed it in,
            it then stopped because it was cold,i tried starting it again but it only ran on one cylinder as long as you
            kept your finger on starter,i then took plugs out and earthed them on cylinder,it is then i noticed it sparking
            when engine not turning,i only charged up the battery because the cold weather seems to drain it a little.
            since putting on the post i have removed the pick up plate from the bike but still it sparks when engine not turning,even put petrol down plug holes,

Comment

The sparking with engine not turning stuff makes no sense- the ignitor box is supposed to wait for signal from signal coils and this requires the engine turning over. Are you sure this is happening ?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X