Tachometer is not moving. (GS1000 G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer is not moving. (GS1000 G)

I bought a new cable cause the bike did not have one. I installed it and started the bike and nothing happened. I then took the tachometer out of the speedo unit and opened it up.

Inside is a magnet type disk that seems to almost touch a round bowl like piece that spins around to a certain point that indicates your revs.

How do I fix this? Does the magnet need to touch the bowl like piece?
    The magnet also seems to be worn down on its edges. It sits against the bowl at a 45 degree angle.
    sigpic 1980 GS550E

Just wondering if you might have skipped a step or three here.

Yes, I see that it is a new cable, but did you see if it turned before putting it into the tach?
    It is conceivable that the drive mechanism in the head is messed up, not the tach.
    Personally, I would have checked that before taking the tach apart.

There are some here that have had the tach apart, I am not one of them, so can't help you there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bowl does not touch the magnet. It uses the magnetic field to gently "push" the needle. The faster it turns, the more the needle deflects. Typically, if the problem is in the tach, the problem is poor lubrication of the axle bearings that the "cup" rides on. Make sure that the needle moves freely and returns back to the post by lightly pushing the needle around with your finger. It should not have any resistance. Just a very light return spring pressure. As Steve noted, I would verify that the cable does spin when the engine is running before you go any further. Use some light lubricant oil on the tach movement before reassembly. To verify operation of the tach, I've used a flat blade screwdriver bit in a drill and put that into the cable end that goes into the engine. Turn on the drill and the tach should move as the RPMs rise. Can't remember if I had to reverse the drill or not though.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sometimes those magnets will loose their strength, when that happens nothing you can do but replace it if possible. I know, cuz I have a bout 4 of them that don't work well any longer.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I oiled them and are busy putting it back. Hope it works.
          The cable turns in the head.
          sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Let me know if it does not work, I have a replacement for you.

Yes, I see that you are in SA, I am getting a carton ready for shipment there, anyway, it won't cost much more to add a tach to the mix, then have it shipped domestically, once it gets there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I will test it tomorrow. Its late on this side of the world.
              if it does not work, i will take you up on that offer.
              sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Mine did the same thing, the square end on the tach was stripped out. Couldn't find a replacement so I gutted the original tach (leaving the threads on the end for the cable to screw into) and making a custom digital tach right now.

Comment

Working...
                X