Halogen turn signal upgrade "no blink" issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halogen turn signal upgrade "no blink" issue

I have a 1981 GS1100EX. I bought the bike last year in non-running condition. After an extensive overhaul of the carbs, I got the bike running well enough to ride out the season on. Over the winter, I did some minor upgrades to the bike, including replacing the stock turn signals (I find them to be a bit too large and clunky for the bike) with smaller, sleeker halogen turn signals. First off, the new signal lamps are a 2 wire unit, whereas the GS uses 3 wire lights on the front. This is not a major issue for me, though I would like to retain the front lights as running lights if at all possible. My main issue is that the new signals won't blink when the switch is activated. Also, my tail/stop lamp no longer works with the new signals installed.

Does anybody know how to fix the no blink issue with the halogens and get my tail/stop lamp to work properly again? Please help. I am stumped and I don't want to put the factory signals back on the bike.

Your "smaller, sleeker halogen turn signals" likely don't draw enough power to activate a stock flasher- get an electronic flasher that is insensitive to loading. You probably disturbed the wiring to tail/brake light during you're electrical fun.
    Personally, I think forward daytime running lights improve your odds on being seen- I added led versions to my bike.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have heard of led but am not knowing on halogen blinkers.
      If they light but do not blink then I am thinking the ground is likely ok with the blinkers.
      May have unhooked the ground to the rear running/brake light on your install.
      May have blown that fuse?

Would be worth investigating.

Something to try with the turn lamps would be to hook up a original blinker in the loop with the new ones for a working trial.
      With the Led blinkers the current draw is not great enough to work the original blinker relay.
      May be the same with what you are running now.
      Adding the extra light would let you know if this is the cause of your problem with them not blinking as it will draw enough power.

Comment

I will try upgrading to a more modern electronic flasher. When I have a factory signal in the circuit, my flasher will click one time when the signals are activated, so it definitely could be a load issue that can be fixed with a modern flasher. As far as the tail/brake light, I have checked the wiring a few times and all appears to be in order. I even swapped the bulb into one of the stock front turn signals to verify the bulb is not burnt out. I have referred to the wiring diagram and it appears that all lights on the bike are connected to the same circuit in one way or another. I am hoping the flasher replacement will correct both the no blink issue and the no tail/stop lamp issue. Should I use a 3 prong flasher like the original, or a generic 2 prong electronic flasher? I dislike making multiple trips for parts as don't want to buy the wrong thing. Rather do it right the first time than become even more frustrated. Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated.

Comment

It would not be just more modern, but one made for your setup.
          And I would try and stick with the 3 prong flasher just to take out any extra variables.
          I have seen gadgets for load increase but if you find the correct flasher unit you would have less problems, extra variables.
          All in one.

Comment

You will also lose auto cancel with the new flasher

Comment

Do you know the wattage of these halogens? Stock signal bulbs were about 23 watts each. If halogens are close to that, you might be able to add some load resistors to get the current draw up to where the stock flasher will flash and maybe you get to keep the self canceling gizmo.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, as posplayr said, you will lose your auto-cancel with the electronic flasher. You will also have to do some re-wiring, as the third pin in the stock connector is a control pin. The new flasher will be looking for a ground. You will need to cut the wire and re-route it to a chassis ground for proper operation of the electronic flasher.

Posplayr was working on an adapter so you can keep your auto-cancel, I don't know if they are ready for production yet. Contact him to find out.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X