coil/ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil/ignition problem

Hi guys,new poster with serious problem!! I have a gs850 bobber that I'm restoring and the issue I have is that I bought it as a non runner due to a blown dyna coil. Since then I have found that it has 1 harley coil and 1 dyna and no ignition module. I am thinking this was was to make it run a bit ruff so as to sound more authentic. I have replaced the dyna coil but not the harley as it was the dyna that was blown originally,the new dyna has now blown after being on the bike for approx 10 mins. I feel like I'm chasing my tail now so any help will be appreciated

This is not meant as being sarcastic, but how could it be doing anything without an ignition module? Do you mean that the ignition module was replaced with a Dyna-S ignition? How do you know the coil is blown?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Does this creature have points ignition system? What lurks behind that little round cover on lower right side crankcase?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah that's what I was suppose say. The dyna coil actually split so was clear that it had blown but the harley coil is still fine

Comment

Unsure on the points situation,it's gone dark and cold here now so haven't got to them yet

Comment

Yes, knowing what year GS850 would help.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It's a 1981 shaft driven

Comment

May have a Dyna S installed.
                Get a manual so you can get a feel for the bike and its components. This will help you ask educated questions that we can help you with.
                Please don't take this the wrong way and I am not calling you uneducated. (waiver for sensitive types)
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X