Anyone try stick coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try stick coils?

Wondering if anyone has tried this with a modern bike coil swap? Saw an article in PS a while back. Pics would be cool too.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Some clues might be nice.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Individual coil for each spark plug. I don't know much about the conversion, that's why I'm asking if anyone has tried it. Article was in PS May 2012 p88-89.

Coil packs-pencil coils on oil boilers? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle ...
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I looked at it, and really there's no reason why not. It's been done plenty of times, the difficulty is finding a cheap, easily available junkyard stick coil that's a good electrical match to your ignitor and is a good weatherproof solution, given the cheapest and most abundant normally live in protected conditions in a car engine bay.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          I looked at it, and really there's no reason why not. It's been done plenty of times, the difficulty is finding a cheap, easily available junkyard stick coil that's a good electrical match to your ignitor and is a good weatherproof solution, given the cheapest and most abundant normally live in protected conditions in a car engine bay.

The article mentioned modern motorcycle coils for the swap. #10 thread in the link, had a good explanation of the possible advantages in the swap.

Comment

Coil on plug should work just fine if you get the correct unit with the right resistance. The only issue I see is the inherent length of the coils. In normal applications the top of the coil is supported by the head. In our application there would be no support if just plugged onto the spark plug. I would think that some form of support structure would have to be fabricated in order to keep the coils stable. Not a huge issue. Just something to consider.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post

The article mentioned modern motorcycle coils for the swap. #10 thread in the link, had a good explanation of the possible advantages in the swap.
              Post 10 sums it up quite well, I agree.
              Last time I looked the bike coils were stupid money, and that's why I was investigating car ones.
              Things change, of course, and if you find short-bodied ones that will sit properly on an air-cooled lump without straining the plug body, and cheap enough, go for it.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X