I can't find my ignitor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find my ignitor!

Hello friends, I have a 1979 GS750 and I am trying to build a simple wiring harness after it was massacred.

I was confused at first by the manual's depiction of the rectifier and regulator being separate whereas mine has the combo unit. Using the 750 diagram on basscliff's website I found how to wire the R/R but it shows it running to an ignitor box.

I cannot find this on my bike. I've searched here and on google, but all I seem to find is the part itself and not the whereabouts. I have also looked and multiple microfiche hosting sites and they neither show it or list it on the fiche. I plan to use the 550 simplified harness shown here http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/..._Schematic.pdf as it is a 4 fuse system as mine is(the others all show none or 5 fuse).

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for the vast collective of knowledge here, you're always the best place for info on these bikes!

I had a '79 GS850 a few years ago and it still had points ignition so I suspect that your 750 might still have points. In which case you wouldn't have an igniter. Igniter is for electronic ignition. If you take the round cover off the right side you can see if you have points.

hope this helps.
    Brian

Comment

If you don't have points, you may have an aftermarket electronic ignition

Either way, no ignitor, so you're looking at the wrong wiring diagram
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Far as I know, ignitors were not introduced on GSes until the 1980 model year, and then practically the whole line-up switched to them. Remove your ignition cover to know for sure. If you see points, you have points, if you see a magnet and pick-up coils, then there is an ignitor somewhere. (Or there should be.)
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I do have a points system. I'm waiting on the tuneup replacement package from a local yard because I discovered that the left assembly point was broken off.

So if I don't need it, is there a diagram anywhere to show how it connects through the r/r?

Comment

The diagram in the manual on basscliff's website for the 750 shows a single fuse set up with the separate regulator and rectifier. I have a lot more wires coming out of the r/r that I'm unsure what to do with based on the other schematics i've found. Also others i've found all have a 5 fuse system where as mine only has 4 in the fuse box. Main, Headlamp, Ignition, and Signals.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2015, 06:07 PM. Reason: added about fuses

Comment

Originally posted by ratgs View Post
              The diagram in the manual on basscliff's website for the 750 shows a single fuse set up with the separate regulator and rectifier. I have a lot more wires coming out of the r/r that I'm unsure what to do with based on the other schematics i've found. Also others i've found all have a 5 fuse system where as mine only has 4 in the fuse box. Main, Headlamp, Ignition, and Signals.
              That diagram at the back of the 8 valve 750 manual is for earlier Gs750b like I have. The diagram for '79 GS850G (the color one) is probably pretty close to your bike. It shows an R/R, 4 fuses and points ignition.

Comment

Ah geez I didn't even think of trying that. I had an 80 850g that had the similar set up. Thanks a ton Canuck!

Comment

Points=no igniter. Simple.. Pull the points cover and see what you have.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by ratgs View Post
                    How many wires coming out the R/R ? Later units can have extra sense wires and newer ideas rewire that whole area a lot better.
                    Check out Posplayr's sig.
                    Generally there are four fuses in use in a stock machine. There is usually a fifth fuse at the bottom for any extras you might want to fit. In some cases this fuse will have been removed or used as a replacement for one of the others.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Ratgs, converting to that simplified 550 wiring diagram is an interesting project. Are you making a whole new wiring harness or modding the OE one?

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X