Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regulator Rectifier Compatible Between G and GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator Rectifier Compatible Between G and GL?

Kind of a dumb question, but I'm looking for a new rectifier for my 82 GS1100GL Shaft Drive. I have found one that looks like the right size and with the right connector on regulatorrectifier.com (anyone have consumer reviews for that site by the way?) but it specifies that its for a 82-83 GS1100G. I'm assuming it would work just fine but I'm not sure, and there is a rectifier that specifies my model, aside from the shaft drive, but its got connectors right on the regulator itself, I want the normal set up with the plug in connector. I'm assuming these bikes were the same other than the body set up mostly.

Also, do you think that since the bike is shaft drive it would have any sort of issue using one from a non shaft drive? I don't see how that could possibly affect anything.

Thanks

None of the differences between the models matters concerning your R/R. But, you should be considering a series type R/R such as the SH775. The shunt type (which was stock, and many aftermarket ones are as well) that you are referring to is not so healthy for your stator.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

D L

Welcome to GSR.

R/R same for G verse GL.

Only thing that will differ from a G and GL will be the obvious: things like seat, tank, bars, frame, rear fender, headlight, side covers .... and front fork tubes (thise may be the least obvious, GL has leading axle). And some minor differernce that will swap, like the GL instuments have more chrome, and front fender is chrome.

Hey, 1st post....
      Welcome to GSR.
      Do introduce yourself in the 'owners' section.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Read GS stator in my signature

Place your GS electrical or ignition related questions in this forum.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. I looked into those new regulators mentioned in the comments just now. Looks like the series one doesn't work for everything, has anyone had experience using that series one on a bike like mine? It looks like the Mosfet one wouldn't be a bad choice either from what the website was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by d.loseth View Post
            Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. I looked into those new regulators mentioned in the comments just now. Looks like the series one doesn't work for everything, has anyone had experience using that series one on a bike like mine? It looks like the Mosfet one wouldn't be a bad choice either from what the website was saying.

What are you reading? and based on your comments I would say stop doing that immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              What are you reading? and based on your comments I would say stop doing that immediately.
              Yes, you need to read the links in posplayr's signature. He's done the figuring for you , so take advantage.
              don't get enamored with buzzwords like MOSFET until you understand the issues. Lots of forums and suppliers are spreading misleading information about charging issues. If you want a reliable ride, follow the advice on here- it's free!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you know you need a new R/R, then get a new SH-775 (part number 4012941) from any Polaris dealer. When it arrives, break out the soldering iron and crimpers, install it, and enjoy worry-free charging.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

MOSFET was an improvement on the original shunt-style R/R.

However, it is still old technology in that it is a SHUNT-style R/R.

The SERIES-style R/R, like the Polaris one mentioned will do MUCH better for your bike.

True, since it was not intended for our bikes, some wiring will be necessary to adapt it, but it's worth it.

And, ... we are not just saying this to hear our keyboards click, we are saying it because we have done it AND IT WORKS.

If you choose to ignore our suggestions, that is your perogative, but you will deserve what you get.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I came here for advice, I'm not going to ignore it. Thanks guys, answered my questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X