Turn signals not blinking/new flasher unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals not blinking/new flasher unit

I've searched around on the forum but I haven't really found any answers that fit my situation. My turn signals aren't blinking, they just stay on, even after I purchased a new flasher unit. The turn signals are stock, and they appear to have regular bulbs.

I don't have front turn signals though, just the back ones. I was wondering if the 1979 GS850 came with front turn signals, becuase I don't have any, and if not having them would mess with the circuit. I don't really know much about electronics. I have some front turn signals in the mail.

Also, could the self-canceling unit could be messing things up? I can't find much information on it other than that some have by-passed they but they didn't describe what effect it had on their issues after.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2015, 01:46 PM.

Before you go out spending a LOT of money, get some front signals.

Like virtually any vehicle on the road, the flasher needs to 'see' at least two bulbs on each side (front and rear).

When you have signals that actually flash, you will need to have the bike moving to diagnose the auto-cancel system.
    I think it uses the same parameters as the later systems (but totally different electronics): you have to travel more than 10 MPH for more than 10 seconds for the system to auto cancel.

I don't know that much about the '79 auto-cancel system's flasher, but the '80-and-newer systems can NOT use just any flasher from the auto parts store. Yours might, but I don't know for sure.

Just one other thing: are you sure it's a '79? I ask this because production of the '80 models started in August or September of '79, and some DMV agents or other 'officials' would list that as a '79. Because the electrics are totally different, it's important.

Quickest way to identify a '79: do you have a kick starter?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I do have a kickstart. Does that mean it's an 80s? I also have VM carbs so I thought it was a 79.

The flasher unit I purchased is identical to the one I have, except the seller said it was tested and has a guarenteed return policy.

I just bought some front turn signals and they're on their way. It's likely thats the issue then.

The auto cancelling does work, just didn't know if it could prevent the signals from flashing if it was damaged in some way.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

No, the kick start was '79 only, along with the VM carbs.

The flasher is a thermal unit, it needs to 'see' the load of two bulbs to operate properly.

Also keep in mind that those two bulbs must be the proper bulbs. Depending on the bulb's number, it might be a 23- or 27-watt bulb, which is fine. If you have some modern low-profile, LED bulbs or other such 'stuff', they don't have enough of a load. The preferred (and very common) bulbs are 1156 if you have a single filament (turn signal only) or 1157 if you have a dual-filament (running light and turn signal). Your rear signals are going to be single-filament, so 1156s in there.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X