Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Test Diagnosis

1983 GSX 750 ESD
    I have measured the voltage as per the "Quick test".
    The bike does not charge at all. The battery is brand new.

1) key off 12.95v
    2) key on 12.35v
    3) idle (1500 rpm) 12.6v
    4) at 2500 rpm 12.6v
    5) at 5000 rpm 12.6v
    6) key off 12.68v

Is this info enough to determine what part needs replacement?
    I have been reading in the stator papers, but unfortunatly I am stupid when it comes to electricity

Bonus info: The bike is my daily transport to work, rides well. When I discovered the charging problem, I checked the old battery (3-4 years old), and it was low on acid. I replaced it with a new sealed gel battery. A few days earlier it burned a fuse.

posplayr lists each step in order to determine your issue. Even someone who doesn't know what electricity is could follow them. Most likely it is your R/R. You should replace it.

No wait... it's probably your stator. You should replace it...

Hm... are you sure you looked at the stator papers? I think you may have only read through his simple charging health test.

Comment

All this tells you is that the battery is probably good but the bike is not charging it.

The problem could be:

1) poor electrical connections
      2) bad R/R
      3) bad stator

1 and 2 are the most likely but check #1 first. There are not that many connections in the charging circuit. Clean them all, make sure all three stator wires are directly connected to the R/R (the stock setup may have a stator leg going up through the harness, only to come back around).

If the electrical connections are fine, check the stator next. There is a procedure for in the service manual for this and a couple of guides here on the forum or on basscliff's site.

If the stator checks out fine, you probably need a new R/R. The stock unit (and most aftermarket units) only seem to last for so long before giving up. Your ideal replacement is an SH-775B from a Polaris side-by-side. Available new online for around $75 USD. Search the forum for "polaris" and you'll find tons of threads on this.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thank you eil. This helps me immensely.

Comment

Working...
        X