Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me where these wires go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me where these wires go?

My dad bought a 81 GS850L and I'm redoing the wiring connections. These wires are sitting under the gas tank can anyone tell me where or what they go to?

There's a "useless loop" in the stator wiring on 80+ models. When there used to be an on/off switch for the headlight one leg of the stator could be disconnected to reduce the power the R/R had to handle. The loop can only cause issues, so a PO probably bypassed it after a charging system issue.

There are wiring diagrams on BikeCliff's web site. Although not exactly for your model, look at the stator wires on this one:

Comment

As mentioned they are now spares.

Comment

Where do the two wires that go to that connector go to? Is that the headlight off switch? And the other 3 the stator?

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
          Where do the two wires that go to that connector go to? Is that the headlight off switch? And the other 3 the stator?
          The easiest way to answer your question is to get your manual and follow those colored wires from the R/R.

Last edited by posplayr; 04-23-2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

The connector could have gone to something aftermarket like underglow lights or a flux capacitor. If you haven't been able to get the bike to at least 88 MPH, you would be safe to just tape and tuck em.

Comment

Working...
            X