No announcement yet.

GS750 won't turn over - battery is charged, Nothing from starter button or kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 won't turn over - battery is charged, Nothing from starter button or kick

Hi guys - sorry to jump right in - my 1978 GS750 E - which was totally fine, starting right away, suddenly won't start, i checked and charged battery, seems fine. it won't even turn over as in no sound heard from engine when pressing starter button. Won't start from kick-start either - I didn't try to bump start it.
    Must be something small i guess - connector, fuse etc. ??
    I guess it's a common question. It has electronic ignition.
    Bit of a rush for an answer here.
    Thanks in advance.

Start with fuses. Does anything work ? Horn, lights, indicators, oil pressure lamp ? If a fuse is blown you will need to find out why. Only rarely do they ' go off' from old age.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Hi - yes horn and lights, indicators work, oil and neutral lights light up. i suspect a fuse too. is there one fuse specific to starting?

Comment

bike was totally fine, just thru it's MOT drove it to and back from the MOT station, no problems, parked it up - 5 days later having not touched it at all - won't start. Battery seems fine.

Comment

The third fuse from the top is ign and starter. If it's ok the kill switch also has to be on to supply both coils and starter relay.
          Is the bike is a US import?
          Allowing for someone turning the fusebox upside down the one you want is the middle position. No. 3 of five slots.
          Last edited by Brendan W; 05-11-2015, 04:26 AM.
          97 R1100R
          Previous

Comment

thanks - kill switch is on (i'm daft but not that daft ) - if that fuse has failed will it be the source of the problem? What i mean is will the neutral and oil pressure lights - light up but won't start? The bike was completely fine with no warnings this was imminent - i like you - suspect that fuse. Wonder why it would just go ... i suppose fuses do that ... thanks again for your time.

Comment

Maybe It could be the cause or a symptom of another problem i.e. a short somewhere in the ign.starter circuits.
              The two above it are the same rating, or should be, so you could swap one of them in and see if the bike starts. It may blow in which case you are looking for a short somewhere.
              Check the fuse ratings. IIRC the top three are the same 10A and the fourth, main fuse, should be 15A. The fifth slot is spare for the gin chiller box in the faring
              FYI from the top the fuses run
              Lights
              Signals
              Ignition
              Main
              Auxiliary
              Last edited by Brendan W; 05-11-2015, 04:45 AM.
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Thanks for your time will do as u suggest.

Comment

Let us know what happened. There is always someone awake here - technically at least
                  Good luck.
                  Here is a link to some wiring diagrams http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                  They are all pretty much the same even if you don't find an exact match. Just watch out for the starter lockouts and permanently on headlights on the US models.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

It's a 1978, it won't have that stuff. Should only have one fuse too, if the lights are working that's not the problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      It's a 1978, it won't have that stuff. Should only have one fuse too, if the lights are working that's not the problem.
                      Yes , just spotted that one fuse only thing. Suppose that points the finger at the kill switch if the lights are ok but neither electric nor kick will start it ?
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous

Comment

Why havent you guys figured out the obvious check yet???? Turn on the key and short across the two top terminals of the starter selinoid..she will crank and start. If this works then go to any small engine shop or Tractor Supply and take the old selinoid with you. match it up for around 10 bucks and ride on.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Why havent you guys figured out the obvious check yet???? Turn on the key and short across the two top terminals of the starter selinoid..she will crank and start. If this works then go to any small engine shop or Tractor Supply and take the old selinoid with you. match it up for around 10 bucks and ride on.
                          It's Monday morning - give me a break
                          I was thinking that but it's not starting with the kick either ?
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous

Comment

My kicker on the 77 750 is a pain in the azz too. I have worn my leg out with the thing...literally just ran out of breath trying. Unless the timing is spot on and its a "perfect world" screw the damned thing. Short across the selinoid and if it cranks theres the problem.
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I should also mention an experience with my 78 1000C. All was well and that bike has no kicker option. repainted the frame and battery box and then nothing. Figured the ground via the mounting bolt was gubbered due to paint so I ran a tap to get good metal.....nothing. Wound up making a jumper from the mount bolt directly to the battery...magic. So if it cranks via the short across the terminals then next maybe make yoiu a jumper wire like I did and try that before spending cash on a new selinoid. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X