Which ignition cable goes where? 1981 GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ignition cable goes where? 1981 GS650

It looks like someone played with the boots and I want to make sure each ignition cable goes to the right spark plug. I see that each cable is labeled 1 3 or 2 4 and I would assume that refers to the 1, 2, 3, and 4 Pistons. But which is 1 and which is 3. And which is 2 and which is 4. I saw on another thread that, seated and looking down the Pistons go 1-4 from left to right. Is that correct. To elaborate , the first piston would be under the clutch lever on the far end. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've got a repair Manuel in the mail but it's taking forever to arrive. There's only so much summer left. Thanks again.

Yes, you have the order correct.

The coils themselves, though, feed either the plugs on 1&4, OR 2&3...

Have you been to Basscliff's site? You'll find a service manual for your 650 there

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Look at your clutch handle - 1 is directly below on the outside; count up going right so that #4 is under your brake handle
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ignore the labels on the wires, they appear to be wrong.

The two wires on the left coil (that is 'left' as if you are sitting on the bike) go to cylinders 1 & 4, the two on the right coil go to 2 & 3.
        It does not matter which wire goes to #1 or #4, but you will find that one wire might be a couple inches longer than the other, it will reach to the other side of the bike easier.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Whoa. Thanks for this. I'll have to cross check this logic with what the wires are labeled as. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up. If I fired it up with the ignition cables attached to the wrong plugs, It can be fatal to the engine, no? Thanks for the replies.

Comment

not really. it either won't run, or won't run well and will backfire when you try to start it or when it is running(ask me how I found this one out). but if you had them crossed and put your tank on and somehow managed to get it running, you would have a high chance at destroying the paper thin vacuum diaphragm in the petcock, allowing fuel to flow into the engine. but good thing you have this sorted now before you had a bigger problem

Comment

Hi, am I correct in assuming that this logic would be the same for most other GS models, in particular an 83 gs550es?

Comment

Yes , the ignition coil / plug setup is the same. Left ignition coil fires 1 and 4. - left being the one under clutch hand lever.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X