Turning on lights turned off my bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning on lights turned off my bike.

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum, and I'm new to my 1980 Suzuki gs550. I bought this bike yesterday, and every time I rode it before I bought it, it worked fine. I have it here at home now. So basically all today I've been having trouble. When it's cold, it starts right up with no choke. But it wouldn't idle, it would just shut down if I didn't keep the RPM's up. I messed around and turned the idle screw up and now it will idle. But right after I turned the screw, and let it idle for a few minutes, I turned on the headlight and the bike shut off. And it wouldn't start back up. It seems like after it's been running for a few minutes, if it shuts off, it will not start again until it's cold (maybe 4 hours later. ) the spark plugs look new, but they have some blacking on them, and it won't start back up with starter fluid. Any ideas? It left me stranded at a gas station earlier, and I got it started on a prayer and raced home so it wouldn't shut off. This is very frustrating. Thanks for any replies.

Without proper maintenance, these things will run poorly, causing frustration and maybe physical injury. Your bike likely has electrical and carb issues for starters, so do some reading on here for clues
    For charging issues, dive in.....

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

when you get overwhelmed, read this... ( Back up in link for info overload)

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for those links. Never saw those before. I'll start on that list.

Comment

Working...
      X