1100 EZ Headlight Switch Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 EZ Headlight Switch Help

One last job to complete and the EZ is on the road. The headlight pass function does not work from the left hand light switch. I have 12 volts to Y/W and the high and low beam both work fine. I also have 12 volts on O/R that feeds the pass switch, however no power is going to the headlight. The problem must be in the switch. Any help, tips or pics on taking the switch apart to repair would be good. Would like to try and fix it before having to find a replacement. Have added a couple of photos. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Second pic

Switch front
    Attached Files

Comment

OK, like I said get a clean well lit work area. SMALL FLYING PARTS WARNING.

Ill post up some pics that I have and we'll see if we can get you through this.....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Peter180 View Post
          The headlight pass function does not work from the left hand light switch. I have 12 volts to Y/W and the high and low beam both work fine. I also have 12 volts on O/R that feeds the pass switch, however no power is going to the headlight.
          Explain that to us again....? Not sure Im following.

The problem must be in the switch.
          That may be. You were having electrical corrosion issues in your previous thread so before you rip into that switch I would...
          1. Make sure the bulbs and bulb sockets are good / clean.
          2. Clean the connector to the TSCU. Turn Sig Cont Unit. Under the left side cover above the solenoid.
          3. Make sure the turn sig flasher is good and its connectors are clean. Under the fuel tank.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 09-06-2015, 09:50 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Thanks for the pics. All connections are good. It is only the headlight flash (pass) function that is not working. As it is not working, I guess to operate the headlight flash the switch lever is pressed downwards? How does the black switch lever come off so that I can dismantle the switch? Thanks

Comment

I guess to operate the headlight flash the switch lever is pressed downwards?
              When I push my switch up - The headlight goes to high beam - blue light illuminates on the panel.

When I push the switch down - The head light goes to low beam - blue light goes out

When I push it down again - Nothing happens. I dont think you have a problem......

How does the black switch lever come off so that I can dismantle the switch? Thanks
              After you pull the PCB (printed circuit board) out of the switch housing you will see the back side of the thumb lever and slider. A 1/4 turn on each should allow you to remove it. Dont pry it and break the little plastic tabs.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 09-07-2015, 09:16 PM.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

UK wiring diagram

Thanks for the feedback, I think I have the answer. I am in the UK and have been working to the UK wiring diagram. I have checked out the U.S. Wiring diagram and it does not have the headlight flash function on the switch, hence the possible confusion. On the UK wiring diagram the headlight flash function connects the red/orange (power feed) with the yellow (high beam) wire to give a headlight flash function that is on UK vehicles. Interestingly although an 82 model, my bike was first registered in the UK in 90, therefore coud be a U.S. import and therefore not have the function. Don't think I will strip the switch without being sure that it supports the headlight flash function. Need to try and check the original bike history? I'll post the UK wiring diagram of the switch and all will be clear.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X