No announcement yet.

Gs450 starting issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine is not turning. I get nothing when I am pressing the start button.

Comment

Do you understand how to "jump" the starter solenoid? Look at that wiring diagram that I linked to that other guy. Make sure bike is in neutral and on centerstand so it doesn't leap forward!

the starter button feeds 12 volts positive to a small trigger wire on solenoid - but solenoid frame needs to be properly grounded to bike frame to work.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Do you understand how to "jump" the starter solenoid? Look at that wiring diagram that I linked to that other guy. Make sure bike is in neutral and on centerstand so it doesn't leap forward!

the starter button feeds 12 volts positive to a small trigger wire on solenoid - but solenoid frame needs to be properly grounded to bike frame to work.
        I have that diagram in my manual but I have no clue how to read it. Fortunately, my starter button works but if you could explain in English how to do this, I'd appreciate it for emergencies.

Comment

Solenoids are easy to test and bypass... Look at attached pic....
          the big red wire connects to battery positive. The other big stud with nut (with black twisty on it ) connects to starter motor. The small yellow with green stripe wire is the trigger wire - this gets 12 volt postive when you press starter button which connects the two studs together (inside the solenoid) so starter spins. You can bridge across the two studs with pliers ,screwdriver, etc. to make starter spin. Or if you suspect a bad starter button/ wiring ,you can connect the the yellow/green wire to the stud with the red wire to activate the solenoid just like the starter button is supposed to do. But beware! Make sure that you are in neutral and/or on centerstand so bike doesn't leap forward.
          Attached Files
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you have the stock standard single glass fuse as mentioned by Gorminrider, first thing I would do is replace it regardless of whether it tests fine or not. Also it should be on a short bit of harness that you can unplug and plug back in again.

On mine, the glass fuse appeared intact and measured fine, but like all glass fuses they are prone to be a little dodgy and the fuse holder itself could be the issue. If it has gotten corroded or has been a bit warm over time they can deteriorate and cause high resistance or open circuits.

The best check for this is when you have no power to anything, check the voltage on the harness just the other side of the fuse. If you have 12 volts in but nothing out, there is your issue.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
            X