Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble reassembling bike after replacing some wires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble reassembling bike after replacing some wires...

So recently my father and I attempted to replace some wiring on his '92 GS850G and now neither of us can figure out where the wires are supposed to go. I've tried looking up images online to compare with, but all I can get is wiring diagrams, and we don't want to tear the bike completely apart to trace the wires back to find out what they are. So I've taken pictures of the wires in question and I'm hoping you can give us an idea how they're supposed to go back on.
    All of these wires are behind the tank near the battery, the side view pictures are taken from the left side of the bike. Wires are marked with colored lines for simplicity.

IMG_5039abc.jpg

The wire(s) circled in red are currently on top of the starter relay/solenoid and I think that one is supposed to go on the positive of the starter relay and the other leads to the positive node on the battery (not in picture). My father thinks that both of the connectors go onto the solenoid. Of note is that one of the connectors has a second smaller wire leading into it, I think that's the connector for the solenoid and the connector with the single wire is for the positive node of the battery, but am unsure if correct.

Green and orange wires are a unknown to me, my father thinks they're supposed to connect to the plate that the starter, fusebox, and such are screwed onto to act as grounds.

The dark blue wire in bottom side view I believe to connect to the negative on the starter relay, It can not be the negative for the battery as that is the one we replaced and we have it marked.

If more pics are needed to clarify what is where, just ask and I can take some more. Also I apologize if there is a thread somewhere that has this info, I have had no luck on here or google finding useful info on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, we both are hankering to get more riding in before winter sinks its claws in and this blunder of ours is holding us back.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2015, 01:38 AM.

Welcome aboard; most people will be able tell one wire from another by knowing the colors. Since you obviously don't have them memorized they are listed in the factory manual schematics.

For example O/G is the primary Switched power for SIGNAL; used for most all of the lights except headlamp which is O/R(Orange Red). O/W(Orange White) is ignition.

Comment

Welcome, here's a link to a wiring diagram that also includes the service manual and other how-to articles on these bikes - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff.

I believe you meant to say an 82 versus 92 right? It's hard to tell what the wires actually look like in your pictures because of the other colors on them but you should have a larger gauge wire from the battery to the starter solenoid then a wire on the same post to the fuse block. The opposite post on the starter solenoid will connect to the starter. There should possibly be a thinner green/yellow wire that will connect to the harness. As Posplayer said above, other orange/whatever other colors will connect to your various fuses. Those other colors vary so check the wiring diagram above.

Is it possible to post a picture without the drawings on the wires so we can tell what they look like?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took a few more images replaced the colored lines with colored numbers, removed the boots from the cables that were on the solenoid in previous picture. I have been consulting the manual and Bike Cliff's website however unless I'm missing something, I can't find what goes where. Also the bike is a '81 GS850G... Don't ask me where I got '92 from...

IMG_5054aa.jpg

So from what I gather so far, Wires 1 and 2 lead to the signal switch, still have no idea where these ends hook up to however, Of note both wires seem to be black and white striped

Wire 3 goes on the positive of the starter solenoid and 4 goes onto the positive of the battery, I'm pretty sure 5 (not in previous pics) goes to the positive on the battery.

I'm still guessing that 6 is the negative on the starter solenoid...

It does appear that wire 1, 2, and the small red wire on 3 do lead to the fuse box, sorta hard to tell for 1 and 2 considering they lead into a bundle of wires that has multiple offshoots.

Once again, Any help is appreciated.

Comment

1 and 2 look to be ground wires that may have attached to a frame grounding point or even the battery
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            1 and 2 look to be ground wires that may have attached to a frame grounding point or even the battery
            I can be more specific, those two B/W wires are OEM. One goes to the solenoid mounting bolt (side plate) and the other to the battery box mounting bolt to ground the box to the harness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariskava View Post
              Took a few more images replaced the colored lines with colored numbers, removed the boots from the cables that were on the solenoid in previous picture. I have been consulting the manual and Bike Cliff's website however unless I'm missing something, I can't find what goes where. Also the bike is a '81 GS850G... Don't ask me where I got '92 from...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41892[/ATTACH]

So from what I gather so far, Wires 1 and 2 lead to the signal switch, still have no idea where these ends hook up to however, Of note both wires seem to be black and white striped
              As mentioned Wires 1 and 2 are grounds and you need to put them back to at least the original position, but I would actually recommend that you improve your grounding (look up Single Point Ground SPG). Both of those wires appear to have been heated; Is that true? Are they stiff or evidence of melted insulation?

Originally posted by Ariskava View Post
              Wire 3 goes on the positive of the starter solenoid and 4 goes onto the positive of the battery, I'm pretty sure 5 (not in previous pics) goes to the positive on the battery.

I'm still guessing that 6 is the negative on the starter solenoid...

It does appear that wire 1, 2, and the small red wire on 3 do lead to the fuse box, sorta hard to tell for 1 and 2 considering they lead into a bundle of wires that has multiple offshoots.

Once again, Any help is appreciated.
              4 goes to the Battery (+)
              Large Cabel on 3 Goes to the Solenoid Bolt that is not already populated with the starter cable (wire 6 is probably the starter cable).
              Small Lead on 3 goes to the Fuse box main fuse.

The wire with the open spade is some probably powering something on the bike. Look for an accessory. It is also possible if it is for an Battery check light if you have one of those.

These are all critical connections to make sure the bike charges properly. They all need to be chemically cleaned and solder flowed into teh crimps where possible. Same with the fuse box. PLEASE DONT JUST HOOK IT ALL BACK UP.

Generally there will now begin a chorus of pleas to get a SH-775 as well
              Last edited by posplayr; 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Okay cleaned up the connections and put everything in place and the bike runs much better than before, so thanks to all of you for helping with that. Didn't put solder into the crimps as we just wanted to get the bike back up, but come winter were gonna be tearing the bike down and cleaning everything up, so new wiring, R/R, Stator ect. will be coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                X