Inconsistent Miss on 80 GS750L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistent Miss on 80 GS750L

I have an 80GS750L that has a miss in the 2500 to 300 RPM range. Before and after that it runs great. Carbs are clean, have good compression, new battery and voltage regulator as well. Pretty sure it is something electrical. The miss varies between cylinders as well. I am about to give up on her....

If this is a repeat thread, I apologize...have mercy.

"I am about to give up on her...."

might be electrical- have you checked charging output? More likely, carbs transitioning into mid range- how did you clean them?

How do know the miss varies between cylinders?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Bike is charging good. Two and three were missing and I got a new coil. They are working. Now number four isn't firing all the time. Pipe coming off the number four is cooler than the others. Could it be the ignition module? How do I test it?

Previous owner cleaned the carbs. I had them off to fix a cracked diaphragm on number one cylinder. Carbs are super clean and numbers 1 and 4 were firing prior to the changed 2 and 3 coil change.

Comment

Understand that this is the lost spark (or wasted spark) system. One ignition coil fires two plugs like 1 and 4 together - so if 1 plug is firing its mate #4 should be too, unless you have bad spark plug i.e., not leaping gap. A faulty ignitor would fire neither.

Carbs can appear super clean, but you can't see the tiny passages that aid the transition into mid range. Once stuff gets sucked up into these passages , you got problems.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How was the diaphragm repaired? Ive never heard of that before.

I recently had a spark plug cap go bad- resistor in cap was bad, plus all 4 wire connections were corroded.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Should've said I replaced the diaphragm. I wish you could fix them. This is why I am at loss guru. I am sure it is getting gas because I get a raw gas smell (definitely not leaking anywhere) when it is running. I pulled the plugs and checked for spark and there is spark, but it seems weak. It seems to be jumping back and fourth between the 1 and 4 cylinder not firing correctly.

Comment

I know with my old van, it would hesitate when I accelerated. Turned out to be a bad coil pack. Replaced it and worked fine. The bike does the same thing. Misses under load when accelerating and always in the same range (2500-3000). I will pull the carbs off and blow some carb cleaner and air through them and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs750forme View Post
                I know with my old van, it would hesitate when I accelerated. Turned out to be a bad coil pack. Replaced it and worked fine. The bike does the same thing. Misses under load when accelerating and always in the same range (2500-3000). I will pull the carbs off and blow some carb cleaner and air through them and see if that helps.
                If you are going to pull the carbs off, go ahead a rebuild them right (soaked. new orings etc. just because the PO had them cleaned doesn't mean it was done right) Blowing some some carb cleaner and air through just ain't gonna cut it. Why take them off for a second time?
                Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-10-2015, 12:32 PM.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

As you can tell, I am really procrastinating cleaning and rebuilding carbs. I can do it, don't like it, but I can do it. When I had them off the it looked like it had new float needles and jets. Here's another stupid question... The petcock on this thing is vacuum operated if I am not mistaken. Could it be not getting enough gas? This is why I like working on v-twins. They don't have four carbs...

Comment

"When I had them off the it looked like it had new float needles and jets. "

Someone might have substituted inferior aftermarket carb parts to give the shiny clean look- best to find out . Cleaning them properly yourself is only way to be sure that you have mikuni jets and unclogged passages.
                    Singles are even easier than twins!

petcock clogged problem would be real noticeable at high loading.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs750forme View Post
                      As you can tell, I am really procrastinating cleaning and rebuilding carbs. I can do it, don't like it, but I can do it. When I had them off the it looked like it had new float needles and jets. Here's another stupid question... The petcock on this thing is vacuum operated if I am not mistaken. Could it be not getting enough gas? This is why I like working on v-twins. They don't have four carbs...
                      It doesn't have a in-line fuel filter on it does it?
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

No MrBill, it does not. No in line filter. I have not pulled the petcock to see if it is dirty either. It seems worse when you really get on it. If I accelerate at a lower pace it seems better. But then again...who wants to do it that way.

Comment

I cleaned my spark plugs and a little missing went missing.

I've fixed a lot of carb problems with new plugs too.
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

have you checked how much voltage you are getting to the coils at the orange/white wire connection? could be you are getting the dreaded voltage drop. if everything is good, you should see about .3-.5vdc less than what the battery is reading when you turn the key on. and it could also be bad plug caps on cylinders 1 & 4.

Comment

If the plugs are rusty and old it might be time for a new set.
                              How about the lead wires from the coils? I put new ones on and it no longer stumbles in the rain.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X