Disassembled GS750 - want to test compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disassembled GS750 - want to test compression

Hi all! I have a 1982 non-running (never cranked) GS750 that has basically been completely disassembled and the motor is mounted to an engine stand. With the starter cover removed, i see a large black wire (assuming this is ground) and then 3 small wires. Yellow, white/blue, white/green. I thought by simply providing voltage (via car battery) to one or more of these leads would force the starter to crank. Apparently I'm doing something wrong. Can someone lend me a hand? Sorry - I'm a total newb.

The big black wire that connects to the starter itself is the power lead to the starter. +12v to it from the battery through the starter relay and the starter turns, hopefully the engine does too. The starter grounds to the engine case...

The other pretty colored wires are the stator wires. Usually they are cooked black on one end. Stator, not Starter! Don't use them to crank the starter!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, so i need to dig the starter relay out of the storage totes and hope its still functional? I was hoping i could eliminate everything and go straight to the starter itself, because we had a no-crank condition when we first got the bike.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      The big black wire that connects to the starter itself is the power lead to the starter. +12v to it from the battery through the starter relay and the starter turns, hopefully the engine does too. The starter grounds to the engine case...

The other pretty colored wires are the stator wires. Usually they are cooked black on one end. Stator, not Starter! Don't use them to crank the starter!

Comment

Ok -clearly im doing something wrong - or the starter is just plain dead. This is what I'm working with.

Comment

I've tried energizing the black wire on the starter directly, not using the relay.
          I've tried the configuration pictured above, energizing the red cable (which was never removed during dis-assembly, its connected to the original terminal)

Comment

That green/yellow wire on the solenoid needs its connection back into the harness; how did it get cut?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If the starter isn't dud, then connecting the battery positive to the thick black wire that goes to the starter and connecting the battery negative to the engine casing will make the starter operate. You don't need to putz around with the relay to do this.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

First, check that the engine spins freely without the starter motor. Take the spark plugs out, and put a wrench on the end of the crank - if it spins freely then proceed.

Jumping the starter motor with a car battery should work, assuming you have a good ground connection on the engine. Are you connecting the positive wire from the battery to that yellow connection in the pic? If you are trying from the red wire in the pic, you'll need the green / yellow wire hooked up as mentioned above.

If all else fails, pull the starter motor out and test it separately (they spin fast as hell with no load though). The starter motor might be junk, or it may just need a rebuild kit.

Comment

There is no harness. the bike is completely disassembled. What you are looking at is a motor mounted to an engine stand. I'm trying to energize the starter to crank the motor to test compression.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  That green/yellow wire on the solenoid needs its connection back into the harness; how did it get cut?

Comment

This is exactly what I thought! Nothing happens when i do this however. I'm connecting the positive terminal from my car battery (engine not running) to the black cable on the starter, and grounding the negative jumper cable end to the case (and car frame respectively).

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    If the starter isn't dud, then connecting the battery positive to the thick black wire that goes to the starter and connecting the battery negative to the engine casing will make the starter operate. You don't need to putz around with the relay to do this.

Comment

The GS750 was last started in 1987. I imagine the starter (and numerous other parts) need replacing/refurbishing. Thanks everyone for the sound advice. I was really second guessing myself!

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                      First, check that the engine spins freely without the starter motor. Take the spark plugs out, and put a wrench on the end of the crank - if it spins freely then proceed.

Jumping the starter motor with a car battery should work, assuming you have a good ground connection on the engine. Are you connecting the positive wire from the battery to that yellow connection in the pic? If you are trying from the red wire in the pic, you'll need the green / yellow wire hooked up as mentioned above.

If all else fails, pull the starter motor out and test it separately (they spin fast as hell with no load though). The starter motor might be junk, or it may just need a rebuild kit.

Comment

Originally posted by a3tripod View Post
                        The GS750 was last started in 1987. I imagine the starter (and numerous other parts) need replacing/refurbishing. Thanks everyone for the sound advice. I was really second guessing myself!
                        I have restored numerous GSes that have sat that long or longer. Haven't needed a starter yet, most of them fired right up once I fixed whatever problem it was that got it parked in the first place. in 97.2% of them, it was tight valve clearances, corroded wires in the charging system, or carbs clogged up from sitting a few months, and thirty years later they are still clogged. Imagine that.

Usually they only parts they need is a few new seals and a gasket or two.

Now if this bike has been stored in a rust bucket location you may not be so lucky.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

@tkent02
                          I hope you're right! As for now, however, I can't get the starter to spin

Comment

Remove the two bolts at the end of the starter, slide the starter toward the middle of the crankcase, lift it out. Clamp it in a vise or hang on VERY tightly. Connect the positive jumper cable to the black wire (or its mounting stud), make sure you have a good grip on the starter, touch the ground wire to the starter housing.

That eliminates ALL other possibilities and will tell you if your starter is good.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve! I was looking through the service manual to see how to remove the starter. I wasn't sure if i needed to remove the cover over the starter gear to remove the starter or not. I'll do this test right away!

Comment

Working...
                              X