Unusual Voltage from Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Voltage from Stator

So I have been making progress on my 82 GS1100 GL. Part of it going under the knife was to replace the left side cover that houses the stator. Upon inspection it did not look healthy and being over 30 years old I felt it was good to rpelace while I had it apart. In the process I re-did some wiring that had melted and others that had become brittle. New stator is in and all appears good with 13.8V DC charging at the battery however when double checking the voltage on the stator I have found that one of the phases (its a 3 phase 18 pole) when the revs get above 3,000 RPM the AC voltage drops from 20+V down to less than 3V? The other 2 phases show what I call a normal increase in AC voltage as the RPM's increase, ranging from 20V AC to 35+V AC. Has anyone else encountered this or is this correct as the system is designed this way? Other test performed all resulted within spec with no shorts to ground and low resistance (< 0.6 Ohms) across any of the three poles.
    Attached Files

You have something going on, normal charging AC at 4-5000 rpm should be in the 65-75 AC volt range. You might have gotten a bad stator and or you crossed some wires somewhere. Not related to the stator output when you are testing it, did you upgrade your RR in the process. Charging at the battery if all else is good, should be in the 14.2 or a little above range.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I didn't change the RR, but did test it and all tested good. My concern is the stator maybe faulty in the end. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Did you do the leg to ground tests at 5000 RPM? Revised Phase B of stator pages.

Comment

Check the AC leg to ground, if you see much , you might have pinched stator wires where they exit the winding and travel along cover. The ohm test doesn't mean as much since it's low voltage DC.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown Stunt Man View Post
            ....................I have found that one of the phases (its a 3 phase 18 pole) when the revs get above 3,000 RPM the AC voltage drops from 20+V down to less than 3V? The other 2 phases show what I call a normal increase in AC voltage as the RPM's increase, ranging from 20V AC to 35+V AC. .............
            meter on AC range....?

stator leads disconnected from R/R......?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good News! Not sure if electrical issues fix themselves, but a new meter is a good start. Invested in a Klein MM1000 and now everything is testing within spec.
              Did a couple of YouTube Videos to show the results I got. Also removed the back rest, looks so much better. Thanks for all the help and tips!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

20151022_191140-1.jpg

Comment

I watched the battery test; you have dirty connections. Voltage dropping at riding rpm is a sure sign. Do the revised phase a tests in the stator pages.

Comment

and voltage drop along a wire is usually at connections, and voltage drop at connections is HEAT (amps times resistance is voltage drop, and amps times resitance squared is watts, and watts is HEAT, and heat means it is gonna get worse).

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    and voltage drop along a wire is usually at connections, and voltage drop at connections is HEAT (amps times resistance is voltage drop, and amps times resitance squared is watts, and watts is HEAT, and heat means it is gonna get worse).

Yes sir, any voltage drops at connections are largely due to crimped (unsoldered) connections that have some level of corrosion, or just corroded mating contacts . The hotter they get the more then tend to corrode which makes them get hotter which makes them corrode more. And there in a nutshell is the slippery of having small voltages that grow into larger voltage drops till the bike will not charge at all. The video shows close to full 1 volt drop after presumably a detailed refurb??

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      ............ The hotter they get the more then tend to corrode which makes them get hotter which makes them corrode more. .....
                      Yes, Sir !

and....
                      and.... the more they get hot, and the hotter they get, and the more times they get hot, the more the wires (the copper conductors) get brittle, and the less effective crimp connectors become (even if you replace them, the copper is brittle and crimping on the connectors is not as good).

Comment

Working...
                      X