Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils

Hi
    I've got a 1978 GS750 that doesn't start. Drove it to the hardware store and went to leave and nothing.
    Lights all work. 12.77 at battery but no spark when i test the plugs.

Ive got 12.08 at the orange/white wire to the coils
    Ive got 4.1 and 4.3 ohms between the orange/white and white and orange/white and black wires for the coils
    Ive got 28k ohms between 2/3 plugs and 111k between 1/4 plugs

I think 111k is bad, but what does it mean? One of the plugs wires is bad?
    I've read elsewhere that a short could affect it. Is this a short anywhere or just between these wires?

took apart the#1 cap and i found t a tiny spring, little rod, and the screw-in cap portion
    the "rod" is not a conductor (infinite ohms?) even after sanding the ends... does this make sense?
    as you can see its got black and white substance on opposite sides of the cylinder

I measured the ohms from #1 inside the wire (no cap) to the cap on #4 and got 20.5k...
    so it must be the cap... specifically that rod?

without the innards for #1 cap i can fish around with a copper wire and find spots inside the cap that will have less resistance, but it mostly stays at "1." so that cap must be dead... is this correct?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2015, 08:06 PM. Reason: combined 3 posts

That little rod is a resistor. Most people just replace the cap assembly, others replace it with either a piece of brass or copper rod. Those resistor rods go out with age. I say a new set of caps, cut back the wires 1/4", and you are back on the road. Or if you feel like going back to the hardware store, get some brass rod

Comment

thanks!
      1 new cap solved that problem... now ill replace them all... appreciate the help 60ratrod!

Comment

anytime brother! it's what we're here for

Comment

Working...
        X