Gs550 will only start if caught in gear but misfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550 will only start if caught in gear but misfires

I've got a 1980 gs550. The other day I left a stop light and dug into it, hit neutral and it obviously revved up, when I grabbed the clutch to shift into 2nd, the bike started to die. I shifted up and kept riding, I noticed the bike was misfiring. I pulled over and the bike shut right off. When I went to start it up, it wouldn't start. Checked the fuses, they were all good. I ran with the bike, and caught it in gear, it started and I rode it the 3 blocks to my house, misfiring on the way there. I assume it can't be the ignite or the stater because it did run, that is only an assumption mind you. I'm replacing the plugs tonight (ngk b8es, I dkno yet what the gap should be at). Is it safe to assume that I just killed the plugs on it? Possibly killed a coil? Is there anything else I should consider other than those 2? I thought about the magnetic pickup but the bike is sparking even if it's just barely. And are the coils on them rebuildable or is it a replace only item? Any help is appreciated.

You might have charging issues, so for starters,do this Quick Test report all 6 results - note that you need to start with fully charged battery for sleuthing.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes it sounds like a dying battery to me too.

Comment

Brand new battery. Prior to it happening the bikes been on the road for like 2 weeks, no start up issues. There's also a brand new regulator rectifier in it. It was riding along just fine until I hit neutral missing 2nd and it revved to like 7k then the misfire and not starting happened.

Comment

New battery, new r/r (even a decent one) can't do much if you got stator and connections problems. Charge up battery and do the Quick Test ,cuz it offers clues. Ignitors don't like high or low voltages, so find out.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

After you do the charging tests I would consider checking the top end timing. If you saw 7k it probably went a lot more. Maybe you jumped a tooth.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X