What's this supposed to go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this supposed to go to?

So, I decided to take the tank off my "new to me" GK and check electrical connections underneath. I found some interesting stuff. First, the bike has Dynacoil coils, which is kinda cool. Second, the wiring has definitely been modified. Third, there is a connector hanging down in front of the carbs not connected to anything. See pics below. Anybody know what that is?

Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Snip snip, lol

Comment

Definitely not a stock connector, unless it went to some add-on in the fairing?
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Ya, not a connector I've seen on a GS but the but the GK does have some unusual anomalies. Don't see it in the schematics either. Can you trace the connector to it's origin? Might help give us a clue as to where it goes.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

if it runs and everything works as it should it doesnt matter what it goes to. Its not hurting anything hiding there.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The wires go back into the harness, so it does look stock. It is running good, but not charging good. I rode it to work Friday. Went home for lunch, then rode it back. After work, it just barely turned over. It's about a 10 minute ride to work. I don't know if it's the battery, the stator, or the R/R. I checked all the connectors and they are all clean and free of corrosion. Electricals is not my strong suit.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

If you think it will make the trip, bring it by on Sunday.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not sure what that connector is for but do you think some of the wiring modifications might be for a new dyna ignition to go with those coils?
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I can't remember where, but I have seen that connector before, I bet it's something extra for the GK but installed at the factory.
                  Do other GKs have it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

D D,

Does not look familiar to me.

I looked at my schematic (82 GKZ) and it does not list any Blue/White wire.

THen ... I looked at 84 GK schematic (factory manual).
                    It does list a Blue/White wire.
                    Looked around and found it. A Radio Control Switch connector, also having a Black/blue wire and another unidentified wire.
                    Schematic just shows the connector, not connected to anything.

Last edited by Redman; 11-01-2015, 10:57 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

DD,

Just emailed you a scan of the schematic from factory manual.

Those 3 wires in that connector go thru the wiring harness and to an "accessory" connector in the fairing.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'll have to look in the fairing for a connector, or for those colored wires going into the fairing. Thanks Redman, I got your email. Interesting thought about the Dynacoil ignition. I'll find out when I take off the covers for Steve polish for me.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Hi.

That connectors is normal on the GK.

It is part of the extra wiring for the optional radio.

If I recall the wires go along the bundle and into the fairring.
                          Last edited by Highway_Glider; 11-02-2015, 09:07 PM.
                          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Thanks Highway_Glider. So, curiously, if I had the optional radio, is there an optional cable that connects that connector to the battery somehow?
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                              I'll find out when I take off the covers for Steve polish for me.
                              Steve polishes?

Yes.

Here is what will be picked up later this evening. Dave might see them, depending on what time he gets there.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X