Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed regulator, now cranks won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed regulator, now cranks won't start.

I have an 82 GS 650L. Wasn't charging on higher rpms. I changed out the regulator with a direct replacment. Also did oil change and new gasket on crankcase cover on the left side. Now the motor cranks but acts like a weak battery even though it is freshly charged and is melting the ground wire that connects to the battery terminal. I replaced the battery as the old one was going bad anyway, cleaned up all terminals and the fuse box. Hooked up the old regulator and it still does the same thing. Other than replacing the burnt ground wire I am stumped. Any suggestions or ideas?

Originally posted by climinthewall View Post
    I have an 82 GS 650L. Wasn't charging on higher rpms. I changed out the regulator with a direct replacment. Also did oil change and new gasket on crankcase cover on the left side. Now the motor cranks but acts like a weak battery even though it is freshly charged and is melting the ground wire that connects to the battery terminal. I replaced the battery as the old one was going bad anyway, cleaned up all terminals and the fuse box. Hooked up the old regulator and it still does the same thing. Other than replacing the burnt ground wire I am stumped. Any suggestions or ideas?
    What pray tell does this mean????

If you are melting ground wires they you don't have very good grounds (maybe that is too obvious). What ground ? or maybe just follow teh SGP directions in GS Charging health. (see my signature).

Also why not to a Quick test before your even start. (guess where you can find that?)

Comment

Seems that your starter motor is drawing too much or you got the r/r wired incorrectly somehow- this assumes it was OK before you changed r/r and replaced stator cover gasket. Disconnect r/r, charge up battery and see if cranks more normally. Might check that you got idler gear (between starter and starter clutch) positioned right. Starter motor needs to get up to speed or it will draw too much current.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What size is this burnt ground wire? Is it the starter ground strap or a B/w. 18 awg wire?

Comment

Working...
        X