Wiring diagram symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring diagram symbols

I am trying to understand the wiring diagram as well as the electrical components. Very glad to have posplayr's links but I'm not even there yet. Are the symbols in the diagram here showing grounds--one (washer shape) via bolt and the other (lines) via contact? I painted some surfaces and realized after that I had eliminated at least one bolted ground which I have repaired. I am now trying to figure out how the starter relay is grounded (since it is not working but can be "jumped" by crossing the connections). It looks like by contact but the plate to which it is attached is isolated, is it not?

PO eliminated clutch switch and connected the wires temporarily which I will remedy. PO also eliminated the side stand switch entirely but it doesn't look like the associated wires are connected. Jumping them did not help but of course I don't know if there are multiple places where the connection is lost.

Also, is there a legend somewhere explaining the various symbols on the wiring diagram? Bing search yielded tons of information not related to our bikes.

sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

I don't know that there is an international standard, but do know there are different kinds of grounds for which different symbols might be used.

What schematic are you looking at?

Comment

I looked at the 821100EZ schematic.

The round circles are ring lugs. The ring lug is either:
      1. grounded to the frame as in the case of the one at the front of the battery box or
      2. is grounded to the side plate. The side plate is indicated by a thin line around the R/R, solenoid, fusebox etc).

The horizontal lines are either:
      1. Frame ground
      2. Engine ground (normally they would be distinguished by a different symbol)).

The ring lug with a ground is just a combination of the two.

Note the ring lug on teh R/R ground. All current must return here, but that ring lug is mounted on teh side plate so how does teh current return to it? It gets there from the other ring lug mounted near the solenoid. how do currents get to it? From the harness B/W.

Any other return grounds have to get to the harness first before they can get back to the R/R(-).

With a SPG ground, we eliminate these circuitous routes and collect all currents (frame, battery and harness) at one point close to the R/R(-) and then return the consolidated current to the R/R(-).

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        I don't know that there is an international standard, but do know there are different kinds of grounds for which different symbols might be used.

What schematic are you looking at?
        I am looking at this one:
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
          That's what I figured and what I was referencing as well.

Comment

I looked at the 821100EZ schematic.

The round circles are ring lugs. The ring lug is either:
            1. grounded to the frame as in the case of the one at the front of the battery box or
            2. is grounded to the side plate. The side plate is indicated by a thin line around the R/R, solenoid, fusebox etc).

The horizontal lines are either:
            1. Frame ground
            2. Engine ground (normally they would be distinguished by a different symbol)).

The ring lug with a ground is just a combination of the two.

Note the ring lug on teh R/R ground. All current must return here, but that ring lug is mounted on teh side plate so how does teh current return to it? It gets there from the other ring lug mounted near the solenoid. how do currents get to it? From the harness B/W.

Any other return grounds have to get to the harness first before they can get back to the R/R(-).

With a SPG ground, we eliminate these circuitous routes and collect all currents (frame, battery and harness) at one point close to the R/R(-) and then return the consolidated current to the R/R(-).
            Thank you. Why do they have the A.C. Generator in the side plate?
            sigpic

Comment

I painted the side plate with "Zero Rust" and now I'm guessing there are places that should not have been painted correct?
              sigpic

Comment

I painted the side plate with "Zero Rust" and now I'm guessing there are places that should not have been painted correct?
                As long ass you stack all of the ring lugs together no current has to flow through the plate and so paint doesn't matter.

See how i construct the SSPB harness; all the wires come to a single large ring lug rather than a stack. In theory it doesn't even have to be bolted down.

item #4

Comment

Is the SPG ground the "Power Box" in your link? This certainly illustrates the need.
                  sigpic

Comment

As long ass you stack all of the ring lugs together no current has to flow through the plate and so paint doesn't matter.

See how i construct the SSPB harness; all the wires come to a single large ring lug rather than a stack. In theory it doesn't even have to be bolted down.

item #4

Nice. That'll be on my wish list.
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice. That'll be on my wish list.
                      You can just build the SPG cable. You need a 8-12 AWg ring lug and three wires coming in (2x 16 awg and 1x14 awg)

Comment

You can just build the SPG cable. You need a 8-12 AWg ring lug and three wires coming in (2x 16 awg and 1x14 awg)
                        The solenoid/starter relay started working once I moved (to it) one of the ground wires that I had mistakenly added to the frame ground at the battery box. Looking at your picture of the single point ground here:
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...31#post1138531, it says to move that ground wire to the side of the R/R opposite the SPG. If I do that, won't the solenoid stop working--or do I then remove some paint and make sure that both R/R and Solenoid are grounded through the side plate?
                        sigpic

Comment

The solenoid needs a ground and it does it through a mounting bolt. The harness typically has a b/w ring lug that goes to a solenoid mounting bolt. If you run that b/w ring lug go the SPG the you have yo get the solenoid grounded another way. I would assume that a bolt with lock or star washer would ground the solenoid to its mounting plate. It operates a about 6v do nothing real critical .if you have too much paint then run a separate wire from the solenoid to SPG.

The R/r (-) should be direct connected to the SPG. It only needs to ground to the plate to pick up solenoid return currents.
                          Last edited by posplayr; 11-02-2015, 11:17 PM.

Comment

The solenoid needs a ground and it does it through a mounting bolt. The harness typically has a b/w ring lug that goes to a solenoid mounting bolt. If you run that b/w ring lug go the SPG the you have yo get the solenoid grounded another way. I would assume that a bolt with lock or star washer would ground the solenoid to its mounting plate. It operates a about 6v do nothing real critical .if you have too much paint then run a separate wire from the solenoid to SPG.

The R/r (-) should be direct connected to the SPG. It only needs to ground to the plate to pick up solenoid return currents.
                            Got it. Thank you.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X