No power/voltage to one Coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power/voltage to one Coil?

I am new to the forum & just picked up a 1981 GS650G. I'm not getting spark or any "power" to my right coil. It doesn't seem to be the coil itself, I got a new one, same result. Besides a possible bad connection what else might the problem be? I assume the electric ignition? I have only had bikes with points so I'm not 100% sure how to check it.

Side note a screw broke off from the ignition points cover and it is still in the engine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kevin

no power to the coil? That just sounds lika a bad connection... Do you have a multimeter?

both coils are on the same fuse after the ignotion lock. Atleast on my bike.

Comment

The orange/white wire branches out and feeds positive 12 volts to both coils. Measure from this o/w wire connector to a good ground (like frame) don't measure across the a coil's spade terminals as it is up to the ignitor box to ground out the other terminal on each ignition coil when triggered by the signal coils - this produces the spark much like a contact point opening suddenly.

what screw broke off? One holding the signal coils on?.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think the OP means one of the cover screws has sheared off and is still in the case. Bike may have been dropped on that side.
        I would first off suspect the plugs on the supply to the coils. They should be under the tank about six inches from the coils and if they are still the originals they are probably in a sorry state.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
        X