Just a "so I can know" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a "so I can know" question

Im hooking up my dyna s ignition and its weird to me that the signal wire carries 12v for most of its revolution. It (they) only turn off for a small part of the cranks rotation? Are the coils actually capaciters?
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

No, the coils are actually inductors arranged in a transformer Primary/Secondary configuration with a metallic core. 12V is applied to one side of the coil while the other side is switched from open to ground. At a specific time of ignition the switched side of the coil is grounded and then opened again. Braking the ground on the primary is when the spark occurs in the secondary due to the field in the primary coil collapsing. The collapsing field in the primary produces a large magnetic field that induces current in the secondary thus producing a high voltage potential and ultimately produces the spark. This occurs when the voltage threshold exceeds the air gap impedance at the spark plug.

Here's a pic to show how it works:

Last edited by JTGS850GL; 11-08-2015, 04:23 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Believe it or not, the older systems with points do exactly the same thing.

In fact, your electronic ignition is pretty much the same thing, except the points have been replaced by a box full of transistors that Suzuki calls an "ignitor". There are a couple of advantages with the electronic setup: 1. No mechanical wear that requires periodic adjustment. 2. The transistors can interrupt the circuit (which is what fires the plugs) for a VERY short time and then turn on and start conducting again (which is what saturates the coils with a magnetic field) sooner, which gives a better spark.

The little magnet on the crank spins past the sensor, which tells the 'brain' that it just saw the magnet go by, so it will turn the current off,then back on to start the cycle again.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X