Heated clothing on 81- 850g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Fred,

I run heated gloves and jacket liner from First Gear, and even though I have not tested their current draw, I have no doubts I could also plug in a set of pant liners when the temperatures really start hovering around 0 C (32F). The nice thing, the system is portable, so I could add in a pigtail on the 550es and use the same gear and not have to duplicate equipment. I do have new R/Rs on both, one MOSFET-shunt (in the 650) and a series unit on the 550.

I use their dual control unit so I can have different heat levels for my hands and torso. One thing I can say is the gloves only have heating elements on the back of the hands, and if buying again I'd go up a size from what I would normally wear. It would be nice to have heated grips to complement them, but that might start to tax the charging system with full heated (three zone- torso, legs, and gloves). Posplayr and Steve might have a better feel for that though.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I have Gordons Heated clothing gear for my Goldwing -- http://gordonsheated.com/
      I own the jacket liner and the gloves and use the controllers they sell -
      When I have them ON HIGH on my 'Wing I see a .1-.2 drop in the volt meter as they use maximum power to get hot, then a .1 volt drop during use.
      The Goldwing has an alternator like a car - not a stator with R&R.
      But these draw 110 watts according to the website and they keep me warm and happy.
      Legs would be the challenge I think on a GS with no lowers to block wind.

What is the calculation from watts to amps to volts ...?
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
        What is the calculation from watts to amps to volts ...?
        Watts = amps x volts

Depending on the controller, once the device gets to the termostatically-set temperature, the current draw will drop. If you have an older style that uses a center-tapped rheostat, the draw will be the same, but the newer 'digital' controllers use pulse-width modulation to controll the amount of heat that you get. They apply full power for a fraction of a second, then turn off, then apply full power again. The ratio of on/off time (the width of the pulse) is what determines current flow and heat.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did monitor mine on a couple of the GS's. At idle Grips or vest (both about 30-40 watts) knock the voltage about 0.4v from memory. You can get it down to 12.5-12.7v ish running everything & you will flatten the battery eventually. I am doing all this from memory but I think 3,000 ish brought it up to a reasonably healthy charging voltage.

My 2009 KLR is also marginal with grips, vest & main beam running full in traffic / town. (It has two headlight bulbs not just high low on the same bulb).
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            I did monitor mine on a couple of the GS's. At idle Grips or vest (both about 30-40 watts) knock the voltage about 0.4v from memory. You can get it down to 12.5-12.7v ish running everything & you will flatten the battery eventually. I am doing all this from memory but I think 3,000 ish brought it up to a reasonably healthy charging voltage.

My 2009 KLR is also marginal with grips, vest & main beam running full in traffic / town. (It has two headlight bulbs not just high low on the same bulb).
            Thanks Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Come on Fred, I don't know what you're complaining about.........how cold can it be there anyways???? just get some "hippo hands" and be done with it...

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/mot...Main-page.html
              I read the article on Vetter and as my bike is covered in Vetter stuff I checked Ebay for some Hippos Top a the page were these looked good so I bought them.
              Came yesterday,, WOW a 1981 product don't think it's ever been on a bike, they are as new!! My bike has been sitting under the house since Sept so kinda dusty but I put them on the bike and took a couple a pics, I know wrong thread but this is a response to AZR.
              Fred

Comment

Well that is awesome Fred, great find too. Thanks, that just made my day!
                No signature

Comment

Just saw this Fred. They look fantastic, very practical. I'm jelous, like you said they look brand new. Have you had a chance to try them out yet?
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I went out for a ride yesterday on my 82 850G. It wasn't that cold 60's but dropping to lower 50's. I plugged in my Gerbings jacket and gloves. Oh momma did that feel good. I didn't want to get off my motorcycle. No apparent problems with the motorcycle or charging issues. I've never used my heated gear on the 850. Just on the BMW.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                    X