15 amp fuse blows when charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 amp fuse blows when charging?

Is this normal? It's happened twice now. Both times they didn't blow until the battery was charged.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
    Is this normal? It's happened twice now. Both times they didn't blow until the battery was charged.
    So it doesn't blow right away??? Just when it appears battery is getting charged? Reading your other thread..... Get a multimeter and a bunch of 15 amp fuses!
    Do that Quick test if you can. Consider pulling headlight fuse to drop load thru main fuse - this might offer clues.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What fuse keeps failing? modify a basic test light or make a short circuit testing tool and begin to inspect that specific circuit.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Thanks, will do.
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

you have a couple threads about your charging system - oh man offering help via threads is not easy. too bad you could not just bring it over.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I'd be inclined to charge the battery off bike and run with the r/r disconnected and see what happens.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I know what you mean about bringing it over. Its probably an hour s fix in knowledgable hands. With me, could be days, lol. I enjoy the chase though, so id it sounds like I'm bitching I'm really not.
              This bike did sit in a carport for 17 years. A lot could wrong with the wiring. I had to clean and sand the fuse contacts to get it to show any signs of electrical life. This might explain why it ran perfectly on ride one yesterday and ran like s on the second ride (low charge). I can tell when it gets low because when it does the led blinkers stop blinking and go solid when the revs drop below 2500.

Comment

Maybe I should post up all the clue like tid bits that may or may not be related to this issue. Now that I got to feel what the bike is like when it runs right I really REALLY want to get it sorted for good. I'll get a volt meter and check it today (btw). These are just non normal variables with the bike.
                -smaller than stock battery with maybe 110 cca.
                -one 12v wire lead to the dyna s (stock had one to each coil).
                -sat since 1999 in a carport.
                -discovered a couple of oxidized wires (100% oxidized).
                -on my ride a guy on a bike passed me and made a one handed gesture that looked like he was duck quacking with his hand. Maybe my lights were flickering?
                -bike is owned by the Forest Gump of wiring. However, all connections were made with barrell crimps and then heat shrink tube. No twisted together wires with duct tape.
                All this being said, first step will be for me to do the tests in the sticky. I'll post up my reults. At least it works for short trips now.

Comment

I'm seeing a pattern here

Blowing 15 amp fuses could be a variety of reasons one of which is a short and other is not having the R/R wired direct to the battery.

The wiring is not a load of bondo applied to a dented tank nor is it made more complicated by the paint of rust under it.

There are a standard set of recommendations in GS Charging Health. I am yet to be surprised , but nothing you have said so far would suggest doing anything but following the directions.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to testing.

Comment

Working...
                    X