suzuki gs 1000 L will not start/ electriccal problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suzuki gs 1000 L will not start/ electriccal problem

I have a gs 1000 L 1981.....,when I turn the ignition key nothing lights up. If I wait a few minutes it sometimes lights up. when it lights up I hit the starter button, hear the solenoid click and all goes dark again. Is this the ignition switch , the solenoid or something else? thanks can anyone help

Could be anything in the feed line - from dodgy corroded connections, to an ignition switch contact just giving up the ghost.
    Simple things first - check and clean fuses, especially if it's the original glass-fuse box, and work forwards from there. Even before that, clean battery terminals and make sure of your battery voltage.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

See the link in my signature, it will point you to a service manual for your bike and, most importantly, wiring diagrams.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Sounds like a weak battery and dirty connections. Make sure the battery is good and clean all of your connections.

Comment

Originally posted by phillip View Post
          I have a gs 1000 L 1981.....,when I turn the ignition key nothing lights up. If I wait a few minutes it sometimes lights up. when it lights up I hit the starter button, hear the solenoid click and all goes dark again. Is this the ignition switch , the solenoid or something else? thanks can anyone help
          Lots of suspects there.

TOp of my list of suspects is very bad connection at battery or maybe bad connection at ignition switch ... and weak battery.

Need a volt meter to troubleshoot this. Is quite difficult to troubleshoot electrical problems with your senses.

Welcome to GSR.

WHere in general are you located?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
          X