Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrex World RR10 Regulator Rectifier. GS1000G

Hi All.

A couple of years back now this was the must have item to sort the charging issues out on the GSRS forum.

I fitted one August 2013 and I have done about 1500 miles since, a few weeks back I started to get issues with the battery and a quick check showed the RR10 had failed with little or no charge coming out of it!

I have now fitted a FHO20AA and all is well once again, I was surprised to hear from a mate who fitted the same unit to his bike had suffered the same problem after two years, it seemed strange that two should fail on different bikes.

I was very disappointed as it was not cheap at £71 GBP + postage, I contacted the company and as I expected they were not interested I even offered it to them to carry out a diagnostic to see what had failed only asking they pay the shipping!

Were we just unlucky or have any other RR10's failed out there?

Due to the lack of response from Electrex World I choose never to spend my hard earned cash on anything they make again!

Si

Originally posted by mwman View Post
    Hi All.

A couple of years back now this was the must have item to sort the charging issues out on the GSRS forum.

I fitted one August 2013 and I have done about 1500 miles since, a few weeks back I started to get issues with the battery and a quick check showed the RR10 had failed with little or no charge coming out of it!

I have now fitted a FHO20AA and all is well once again, I was surprised to hear from a mate who fitted the same unit to his bike had suffered the same problem after two years, it seemed strange that two should fail on different bikes.

I was very disappointed as it was not cheap at £71 GBP + postage, I contacted the company and as I expected they were not interested I even offered it to them to carry out a diagnostic to see what had failed only asking they pay the shipping!

Were we just unlucky or have any other RR10's failed out there?

Due to the lack of response from Electrex World I choose never to spend my hard earned cash on anything they make again!

Si

Please read GS Stator in my signature for more upto date info on R/Rs.
    The Electrex is a Bad SHUNT
    The FH020AA is Worse SHUNT
    The SH775 is the most economic SERIES solution.

Comment

Check out the information in Charging Health in posplayr's signature line. The R/R you have is nothing more than an old technology shunt R/R. There is lots of information on this site you can look up on converting to a Series R/R that will modernize your electrical system. The SH-775 is the most popular because of price.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I agree on all points I should also add that I am an avionics / electronics engineer.
        I would have gone for the series regulator but they are very expensive in the UK (> $150). The only ones I found have to come from the USA and from experience with the shipping / handling charge / VAT
        The FHO20AA looks more substantial than the Electrex World unit so for the summer riding I do it should last a while + I always ride with lights on!
        My post was more to see if other members had the same issue with the Electrex World RR10 as I said they were thought to be the answer to regulator rectifier woes

Thanks for your responses
        Si

Comment

Originally posted by mwman View Post
          I agree on all points I should also add that I am an avionics / electronics engineer.
          I would have gone for the series regulator but they are very expensive in the UK (> $150). The only ones I found have to come from the USA and from experience with the shipping / handling charge / VAT
          The FHO20AA looks more substantial than the Electrex World unit so for the summer riding I do it should last a while + I always ride with lights on!
          My post was more to see if other members had the same issue with the Electrex World RR10 as I said they were thought to be the answer to regulator rectifier woes

Thanks for your responses
          Si
          Until recently, the SH775 was only cheap enough when it came from US dealers or Polaris breakers, but many of the Polaris dealers in the UK and Ireland have tumbled to the customer reluctance to be stitched up and have reduced prices accordingly.
          Amazingly, it's now cheaper for me to buy a brand new Polaris RR SH-775 in Ireland than it was to get one from the US two years ago, by the time shipping, etc is taken into consideration.

Knock yourself out...
          404 -Polaris Official Site Britain Polaris ATV, RANGER. Recreational, Sport, Utility Vehicles, ATVs & Motorcycles for the power-sports enthusiast - Polaris ATVs, Victory Motorcycles, RANGER Utility Vehicles

Polaris part number 4012941
          Shop around, as I've no doubt some dealers are still charging top dollar.
          Last edited by Grimly; 12-13-2015, 08:07 AM.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm one that has bought a 775 in Ireland from a tip Grimly sent me. Cost €90 ish ( yes Euro, plus postage)
            Talk to Tommy info@traklandutv.com
            Last edited by Brendan W; 12-13-2015, 08:23 AM.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The FH020AA is a robust unit. Probably the best shunt R/R ever made for a motorcycle. I've used several on either my own bike or those for friends and I've yet to see one fail. As with any shunting R/R they don't do anything to protect the stator, but pretty much every motorcycle, including current models, going back to the early days used shunting regulators. This said, with the availability and price of the SH775 being what it is, selecting one is a no brainer since it helps protect the stator. And speaking of stators, many of the various aftermarket units on the market are designed to produce more power than the stock Suzuki stator, and because of this there is more power being shunted back into itself - which as we know causes heat and stator failure (when using a shunting R/R). Thinking back, most of the FH020's I've installed were on stock Suzuki stators, some of which were slightly tired. Not that much extra power to be returned which is actually a good thing, not bad. Guess what I'm driving at is these hot rod stators are just exacerbating the stator failure problem, not fixing anything.

BTW, to the best of my recollection the forum recommendation for best R/R's has been the early "Honda" Shindengen type, the FH018/20 family, and now the SH775. Never heard of anyone using this Electrex RR10 version before today, although there was some early tie in between the forum and Electrex so maybe that's the connection?
              Last edited by Nessism; 12-13-2015, 09:25 AM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Another point in the Series regulator's favor is that you can drop substantial load as in LED lights and not risk fooling a shunt regulator into overcharging and you can take advantage of said hot rod stators.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X