X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brighter headlight for 1980 GS550E ?

I am convinced this has been asked before but I cannot find a
    ideal answer.

My headlight is poor in the dark even at high beam. I need a good headlight !

I will get some pics of what I have (Be aware i am not great at electrics hence my question)
    But I have a sealed halogen front lamp. One where the side light is taped almost onto
    a hole in the rear of the sealed lamp.

this is immaterial as all i want is a good lamp that i can reliably see the road with !
    What are the options ? I want a bright light but in keeping with the lines of the bike.
    I have only base electrics on the bike and it runs nothing else electrical than standard.
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

i get my hid's from ddm tuning
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Check the voltage to the light while it is on. Low voltage makes a dim light. How old is the Halogen bulb? They do dim with age.

Some modern Halogen lights are a lot brighter than the old school Halogen, LED headlights are getting pretty good, HIDs, several other types if you want to go there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I did a review of a cyclopse led and compared it to a 55w Emma hid. Cyclopse was the best option.

you can also but complete sealed units Steve has done the most complete reviews.
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-26-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

What size is your headlight? If it's a standard 7" light, you might be in luck. There are multiple options for round 7" lights, but you will have to filter through them for your UK light pattern, not the standard Euro or US pattern. Simply fitting a lens/reflector from a larger GS that had the H4 bulb will help. Do not bother with 'brighter' bulbs, they will only drain your battery if you do a lot of riding in town using lower engine speeds. If you want, there are some LED upgrades that will replace the H4 bulb, but you have to have that lens/reflector setup to put it in. Lastly, look into a complete, sealed LED setup. Many of us here have gotten ones from TruckLite, but I am not sure if they have a UK beam pattern available.
          I ride many bikes.
          Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nzhvIXP0
            i get my hid's from ddm tuning
            link is dead

Comment

Bare with ....
              Ill take all on board and check it all out tomorrow especially the voltage check.
              this will tax me as I am hopeless on electrics but have to learn ! i have a voltmeter and
              logic probe. Tis just where to put it ! but i know the theory behind a voltage drop test.

bare with and thanks
              UKJULES
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

p.s - standard 7" and sealed unit if 4 years old.
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

I see now:

Very expensive though !!

Ill check the stats / voltage etc tomorrow ..
                  UKJULES
                  1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                  1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                  1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                  1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                    p.s - standard 7" and sealed unit if 4 years old.
                    If a four year old Halogen sealed beam isn't at least mostly adequate, I bet it's a voltage problem. Those are brighter than anything available when the first GSes came out, they did OK at night. Not that modern lighting wouldn't be a lot better, but I bet you will find a voltage issue.

Just poke the meter probes into the back of the headlight connector while the light is on, should be very close to battery voltage. Same with the engine running, it should be very close to whatever the system is running at. Actually a better test is to slide the connector partway off the light and test the connector tabs on the bulb, could possibly be a big drop in the connector itself. My Jeep had that, it was very dim. Not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      If a four year old Halogen sealed beam isn't at least mostly adequate, I bet it's a voltage problem. Those are brighter than anything available when the first GSes came out, they did OK at night. Not that modern lighting wouldn't be a lot better, but I bet you will find a voltage issue.

Just poke the meter probes into the back of the headlight connector while the light is on, should be very close to battery voltage. Same with the engine running, it should be very close to whatever the system is running at. Actually a better test is to slide the connector partway off the light and test the connector tabs on the bulb, could possibly be a big drop in the connector itself. My Jeep had that, it was very dim. Not anymore.
                      Even simpler look for heat damage. Oxidized conectors will heat and get worse dropping voltage.

You can replace the connector with higher heat ceramic units. I would flow a little solder in. The LED bulbs do not get hort and draw much less current and are brighter(see link mentioned above).

Comment

This sounds logical.
                        I broke an indicator the other day and to fix i had to delve into the headlight.
                        (Remeber the one thing i cannot do is electrics)

however i have been a learnin !

It was a mess and i cleaned up all the connectors , and put a few connectors on
                        that were threadbare. I sprayed with contact cleaner too.
                        So now all connectors are ok but i did not check voltage ...... or use my new logic probe.

Tomorrow i will for once do this and get the stats !
                        Also - i have not run it in the dark since i cleaned up the connectors ... a few days ago.

will post tomorrow
                        UKJULES
                        1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                        1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                        1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                        1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

You may have something similar on the other side of the pond, but this stuff not only cleans it preps the metal surface to protect the surfaces. Doesn't take much and very easy to apply. Check the label on your contact cleaner to see if it has any anti corrosion properties else you will need to be back in there in 6 months

Comment

Pos, have you tried this stuff?

cramolin, contact cleaner, DeoxIT, contact lubricant, Hand Shield, CONTACT ENHANCER, electrical contact cleaner, RID-OX, terminal cleaning, Nutrol, contact cleaners, contact lubricants, oxidation, gold wipes, De-ox-it, De-ox-id, PreservIT, CaiLube MCL, gold guard, stabilant 22, CRAMOLIN, WD-40, Kontaktspray, Kontaktsprays, corrosion, ProGold, conductivity, contact enhancer, solvents, contact cleaner, enhancers, contact lubricant, cramolin, deoxit, progold, CONTACT CLEANER, preservit, cailube mcl, CONTACT CLEANERS, rid-ox,

I have used them both, this stuff worked much better than the Deoxit.

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                              i have a voltmeter and logic probe. Tis just where to put it !
                              The voltmeter will be best used at the headlight terminals, as suggested, the logic probe will be best placed in the tool box. It is virtually useless on your bike.
                              I ride many bikes.
                              Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Working...
                              X